cooling system cleaning

hi all , I just repaired a leak ( coolant ) and I noticed a build up of a brownish sludge , a light film of it is building up in the filler neck . Does anyone know a good way to clean and flush this system ? 97 pont. grand prix 3.8 L naturally aspirated . I've done this before on cat equipment ,where i'll use dishwash detergent (as it's non foaming ) run to operating temp for a while and then flush and drain . then new coolant . I went to a dealer and they said there is really nothing from G. M yet for this ? Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance .

Reply to
jzwanenburg

That coolants probably been in there for 6 years now. I've had good enough luck just pulling the drain plug on the radiator and then putting new stuff in. But mines only been in for 5 years when I do that. That "muddy" stuff in dexcool doesnt really bond itself to metal like conventional coolant so just taking the garden hose and sticking it in the filler neck will loosen and remove a lot of that. (removing your lower hose will keep you from getting undistilled water from the garden hose in your block.) Take your overflow bottle off and clean it up real good along with your radiator cap. Then put a 50/50 mix of dexcool and distilled water back in. After that you might want to change it again in 3-4 years. Always keep an eye on your radiator level and keep the cap clean. Also one last note, be aware that Series II 3800's (95-99) develope a intake leak around the egr passage and suck in coolant. If you keep seeing a coolant loss you now know.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Reply to
Chris Twolan