drain and refill cooling system on a 92' Grand am

Hi

I plan to drain and refill the cooling system on my 1992 Pontiac Grand Am.

I have currently the green Antifreeze filled in and will refill with a 50/50 mixture.

But where is the valve to let the coolant fluid come out? I found this picture:

But when I go under my car, I can't found it.

Has anyone here some experience in that?

Regards from Switzerland

Dominik

Reply to
Dominik Hirt

That picture is for a GM vehicle that is probably quite a bit newer then your vehicle. I believe your vehicle will have something similiar to that, but on the drivers side of the car. On some of these cars, it's very difficult to see the drain plug, but it will be there. In most cases, it's at the bottom of either the left or right tank, usually the tank opposite where the lower rad hose goes into the rad. And on the older vehicles, the drain plug "usually" faces towards the engine compartment. Some newer vehicles (malibu) face towards the front of the vehicle.

If all else fails, you can always just remove the lower rad hose at the radiator (often easier "said" then done).

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

shiden_kai schrieb:

OK, thanks. I will go under the car one more time and have a closer look... A friend also told me to remove the lower rad hose, but its look not very easy...

By the way: Sorry for my poor English.

Dominik

Reply to
Dominik Hirt

Hey, don't worry about it! Your English is far, far better then whatever I could attempt in your language!

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I don't know about your 92, but on my 89 there is a drain plug and it is on the passenger side. However, there is no practical way of getting to it. The only way I could figure out how do to drain the radiator was to disconnect the lower hose, not where it attaches to the radiator but on the side that goes to the engine. It's messy but it works!

Gene

Reply to
CCTGENE

CCTGENE schrieb:

Yesterday, I looked for the drain plug one more time. I couldn't find it. But there is a lot of plastic and metal under the radiator. So I think I will remove the radiator hose. Why you disconnected the hose on the engine side and not on the radiator side?

Dominik

Reply to
Dominik Hirt

Because it's easier to get to!