humm/grinding from 89 bonneville se

Anyone have any ideas? I've got an 89 bonneville se w/ 207k(& still strong:) that has a very annoying and worrying sound coming from the front left of the car. I can also feel it a bit in my feet while driving. The axles have been replaced a while ago along with a recent boot replacement. Other than that I haven't got a clue what it may be. The sound goes away almost completely on right curves. Bearings, axles, power steering, suspension??? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Craig

Jack Daniels

" Matt Craig" wrote

If you have a humming noise from the front end that changes when you turn....in most cases it will be the front wheel bearing that is on the same side you are turning toward. So if the noise disappears on a right turn (or changes), then usually that means the right front wheel bearing is the noisy one. The reason is that you are unloading that bearing when you turn to the right. I have seen a few (very few) that were opposite to the turn, but 99% of the time it's the same side as the turn. The best way to check is to jack up the front end of the car, put it up on jack stands, throw it in gear and get the wheels spinning. Then take a stethoscope (mechanic type) and listen to each wheel bearing (you can put your stethoscope against the knuckle right by the axle shaft).

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

I'm with Ian on this one. Just did one of mine about 3 months ago. Mine actually was one of the few that was opposite to the turn. Made the noise on a right turn but it was the left hub bearing. I don't know if you have hub bearings or not. (The entire hub assembly comes off rather than just a bearing) If you do, and you plan on doing it yourself, those stupid hubs can REALLY be stuck on there. I had a heck of a time getting mine off. After that it was simple.

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

"Tony V." wrote

No, yours is one of the common ones. Maybe I didn't explain it well enough. When you make the right turn, you are loading up the left wheel bearing and unloading the right wheel bearing. It probably has a lot to do with the amount of wear and noise that a wheel bearing is exhibiting. Some don't make noise until they are loaded, others make noise all the time and go quiet when unloaded.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Wheel bearing. GW

Matt Craig wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Ian, You do mean "When you make the right turn, you are loading up the left wheel bearing and unloading the right wheel bearing." on EACH wheel, right? That's how I always understood it. GW

shiden_kai wrote:

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Yes, I must have read your post wrong Ian. Your first post made sense. It's just me, I had to read it twice. :)

Tony

Reply to
Tony V.

"Geoff Welsh" wrote

Now you are confusing me. There is only one wheel bearing "assembly" per side on the these vehicles. Yes, inside that assembly sits two bearings, but since you can't replace an individual bearing, there isn't much point in referring to "two" wheel bearings per side.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_kai

Have you tried slipping the car into neutral when making a turn? Just to make sure its not RPM related as with a steering pump or alternator.

Gary

Reply to
GARY

A bearing assembly does make it confusing. I was speaking classically, I guess. Turn right, weight goes left. Opposing force is: wheels push right. A left outer (left-left) bearing, and a right inner (right-left) bearing would be under highest load. The other two bearings would go from loud to quiet if faulty. GW

shiden_kai wrote:

"Geoff Welsh" wrote

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

I've replaced the hub assembly and axle boot on the passenger side front of the car, but still have the humming so...........I've bought another hub assembly and will do the other side later and see whats going on after that.

Thanks for all the replys!!!!!!!!!!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Craig