Is it Time for GM to upgrade there V6 Engines?

H bodies are easy to get to the plugs on, w bodies you disconnect the=20 upper mount aka dog bone and rock the engine forward. Plug access isnt a=20 problem.=20

Whoa hey where do you live that you can legally do 70-90? And I never=20 noticed mine laboring. The only reason you think that engine is laboring=20 at that speed is because bonnevilles have tall gears. A manual 5 speed=20 would cure that. I havent tried it in a while and I wouldnt downshift it=20 below 3rd while moving but that car will run up to 90mph in second gear.=20 If you want more power in the upper rpm range where it is "not" needed=20 like on a Maxima you can get those heads ported and that will move up=20 port velocity.

High end torque is worthless.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Yeah, but at least one could do it from above. My Bonneville seems to require it to be done from below the car...

Reply to
Neo

I couldn't agree more. The 3800's are great engines.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE

Reply to
markwb

Disconnecting the upper mount doesn't seem to make the procedure a breeze...

It's not legal...

No. It downshifts as does the Intrigue, but the Intrigue is much quicker overtaking.

No, it woudln't. As I said, it downshifts.

I could use the supercharged engine too... :-)

I pictured a situation in which it is. Denying it won't make it go away...

Reply to
Neo

Park it pointed downhill and try it that way. I think it's pretty groovy compared with some of the alternatives.

Reply to
Joe

Do it by feel, not by line of sight and its easy.

The intrigue is lighter, smaller, and is probably geared lower. How do=20 you think a bonneville gets the gas mileage it does? Low end engine=20 torque and a tall gear.

Yeah it downshifts into 3rd which is still a tallllll GEAR! A 5 speed=20 manual would break those into smaller fractions giving you both a good=20 tall gear in 5th and a good pulling gear in 3rd.

A WS6 in 6th gear going at 65mph will pull itself upto 80mph on its own=20 if you dont set the cruise control. It also gets better gas mileage than=20 a bonneville and will give you whiplash going into 2nd and 3rd gear.=20 Dont tell me low end torque isnt a good thing. Any engine that doesnt=20 have to scream at 10000rpm to get a car moving wont wear out as fast.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Ever heard of give and take. Higher hp, but lower torque. There is more to performance than just HP.

-- Thank you,

98 Camaro

department,

Reply to
98 Camaro

I'd have to try...

It's ceratinly lighter, but they have the same transmission and the same gearing: 3.05:1.

No, both downshift 2 gears to 2nd!

Of course it is and I do miss it in the Intrigue, that's why I still prefer the 3.8 for my needs, but high-end torque is a good thing too. However, if I had to choose between wither, I'd pick low-end torque. But I dream of a trully flat torque curve yielding the same torque at

1500RPM as at 6000RPM, which many turbocharged engines achieve and so does, apparently, the new 3.6 V6.
Reply to
Neo

You mean you don't like laying out across the engine of the Bonny to change the plugs?

You wuss.;)

Reply to
wrestleantares

Well, it's not time yet (100000mls plugs), but I check it out and I think that that can only be done by either going under the car or pulling out an engine mount...

Reply to
Neo

Throw a fender cover over the right fender and lean in. When putting in a new plug use your middle finger to locate the spark plug hole while holding the new plug with your thumb and index finger. That should prevent the electrode from being bent or damaged while you're locating the hole. After that just thread it in until it stops then grab your ratchet. Like I said, easy as pie.

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

Thanks for the instructions. I'll give it a try to get a feeling.

Reply to
Neo

It's not too bad after all. I can't see them, but I can fairly easily reach them. Not too good, but not too bad either.

But the space under the hood of my Intrigue is not so generous for its

90° 3.5 V6. Thankfully, the spark plugs are more easily accessible on that engine.
Reply to
Neo

If I recall correctly there is a dogbone mount at the front that you can=20 use to rock the engine forward and use the bolt through a second hole to=20 hold it in place. Intrigues also came with 3800's. You need a long pry=20 bar to rock the engine forward btw.=20

Reply to
Bon·ne·ville

The 3.5 plugs are under the valve covers. I don't know how difficult it is to remove both.

Reply to
Neo