miss on grand prix-coil?computer?

i have a 94 grand prix(3.4),miss on no.2 cylinder,first thing i did was pull wire off on the other leg of the shared coil to see if the other cylinder was dead,it was just the one cylinder, spark plug is okay,pulled wire off coil leg and found rust and corrison on leg and inside of wire boot,sanded leg clean and inside of boot ,sounds like moisture and water problem caused by bad boot?) still had miss on that cylinder,changed the wire around with another to troubleshoot wire hoping that the miss would now be on another cylinder proving bad wire ,still miss on no.2,so changed wires back and called a few shops to see if possible one leg was shorted out on the coil pac, caused by the rust and moisture,one shop said highly doubtful-coil will go out all together,sounds like ign.module or computer,another told me it was very possible that the leg shorted out and the other leg on coil was good,tomorrow i guess i will be changing coils around to see if the miss is now on the adjoining cylinders,any other ideas guys??? is it possible that one leg shorted out leaving half a coil still good??the car was running fine then it just happened all of a sudden,it's not like it had been a slight or giving trouble miss,so the corrison must have been building up for awhile,wouldn't the "check engine light have come on tripping a code if the computer had gone bad??i know it won't tripp it for just a bad plug,wire or coil. i;ve gotten a lot of great help here so once again,give me some ideas please??

Reply to
robert -wanda fox

Yes its possible part of the coil is bad.

Check resistence across the two terminals an each coil with an Ohm meter. The three reading should be the same. I think its supposed to be

8 ohms, but don't quote me there.

Use Permatex Dielectric Tune Up Grease to lube the contact points bewteen the spark plugs and wires and the coil terminals and wires. Makes removing them in 50,000 miles alot easier.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge than I will comment.

Good Luck

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,377 miles

000,006 - Feb 4,1991

100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005
Reply to
Harry Face

Doesn't that engine use the so-called "waste spark" technique? If so based on the diagrams I've seen there are no legs on the secondary side of the coil. It's just a single winding with each end connected to a spark plug. If one of those cylinders is getting a spark then it seems unlikely to me that the coil is bad. Have you tried swapping spark plugs around?

It's probably a pain to do so, but your next step after ruling out the ignition system might be to swap injectors around.

Check resistence across the two terminals an each coil with an Ohm meter. The three reading should be the same. I think its supposed to be

8 ohms, but don't quote me there.

Use Permatex Dielectric Tune Up Grease to lube the contact points bewteen the spark plugs and wires and the coil terminals and wires. Makes removing them in 50,000 miles alot easier.

Hopefully, someone with more knowledge than I will comment.

Good Luck

Harryface ?Ø

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 300,377 miles

000,006 - Feb 4,1991

100,000 - Sept. 4, 1995 200,000 - June 19, 2001 1/4 Milllion - Jan 16, 2003 300,000 - March 3, 2005
Reply to
Silver Surfer