New Montana Owner...What Should I know??

After reading this newsgroup for a couple of weeks I still boughtbought a 2004 Montana Ha ha! . I understand they have chronic intake gasket and some tranny problems. I opted for the towing package thinking the larger rad and tranny cooler may help these components last longer?? Will any special maintenence help get more life out of these components? Also wondering if GM has done anything to improve these componets from earlyer model years? Im looking for any feedback on the van. Thanks in Advance, Kevin

Reply to
kev

So far I love ours. I have 74K on it.

I just replaced the transmission filter and fluid and gave it a thorough checkup. Need to put shoes on the back drums tonight. Still has the originals onit.

it has plenty of power, gets around 22-27mpg.

My friend tried to haul a 8' couch in their Caravan. The back hatch would not close. I slid my seats up a touch to where it was still comfortable to drive and put in the couch and closed the hatch. Had my friend try it with his Windstar and it was worse then the Caravan.

Very happy so far.

Lannie

Reply to
LS

I hope I don't offend anyone but my Pontiac Montana has been trouble since the month after it came off warranty. I had to replace the engine, I had to replace the transmission and the radiator. Currently, I have 2 lights on in my vehicle and this is after I just got it out of the shop. One light is an airbag light and the other is a brake light. Not to bash them to much, I think those two are for regular check-ups. Like I said, I just got it out of the shop because for some reason, when I pressed on the brake, my turn signals stopped working. The mechanic at the shop said I had a short in the taillamp wire. He also told me to check to see if there was a technical service bulletin out about it. My Van has 85, 000 miles on it and I will never buy a GM vehicle again. I called GM and they said that if I buy another vehicle they will give me a $1000.00 cash-back coupon. You may ask how come I just didn't trade it in, well I bought this vehicle on an employee discount when I worked for them down in Shreveport. We built the S-10 & Sonoma. Anyway, I bought the vehicle on a GM Smart buy and when this program is over, you are already upside down on the payments. Everyone has there own opinions and I hope you don't encounter the same problems>

Initially, I loved my Van because I thought it was a nice vehicle.

Reply to
Edward Eusery

No, those two lights are not for "regular check-ups". It's very common on these vans for the seatbelt pre-tensioner assemblies to go belly up and cause the SIR light to come on. In layman's terms, these are very much like a bullet in a gun barrel. When you are in a collision, the pre-tensioners fire off and snug up the seat belt. Unfortunately, when the SIR light is on, you will have no air bag deployment in an accident. Some people don't mind this, but if you do, you should have the van looked at and diagnosed so that you can repair the problem. As far as the brake light, check your brake fluid level first.

Ian

Reply to
shiden_Kai

Reply to