100 Octane fuel question

Hi, Anyone ever use 100 octane fuel on their 911? What is the effect? There is a Sunoco station on my way to work that sells the stuff at 7.99 per gallon. I am just curious? TIA Laz

Reply to
Laz

My 2002 996 was designed for 93 octane, but here in southern California 91 is the highest widely available pump grade. I mix Sunoco 100 into the tank at the ration of 2 gallons 91 to 1 gallon 100 and get 94 in the tank.

Subjectively, the cars seems to have more punch, particularly in the higher RPM range where the engine makes max horsepower, but I haven't done any scientific measurements. What the fuel should do is allow the engine to operate as it was designed, rather than adjust itself to run on lower octane.

Reply to
Jim Keenan

Note that the octane numbers in Germany are RON. It seems the original poster is based in the US where PON is used.

to this site the Sunoco GT 100 fuel has a PON rating of 100,this is even several points higher on the RON scale. Some info about octane:
Rob

Reply to
Rob Muller