Best Time to Change Oil?

Now that winter is approaching us in Chicago I wonder what others think about the best time to change the oil. Is it best to change prior to detailing and putting it up for the winter or at the beginning of the spring season next year.

Frankly, I can argue both ways but welcome the thoughts of others.

Thanks in advance.

Tino

996 Millenium
Reply to
Tino

G Larson

I can only argue one way. Change it in the winter. Before the contaminants have a chance to eat away at the insides of your motor.

I got these links googling around thusly:
DS

95 993 Coupe
Reply to
The Dead Senator

The 996 owner's manual (at least for the 2002 MY) states when storing your Porsche for a prolonged period

"Clean your vehicle thoroughly inside and outside" "Clean the engine compartment" "The under carriage and chassis components should be free of dirt and salt deposits" "Fill up the fuel tank"

"Change the oil and oil filter and run the engine for several minutes"

"Increase tire pressure to 58 PSI. The vehicle should be moved slightly approximately every four weeks to prevent flat spots on the tires". "It is not recommended to lift the vehicle due to the possibility of corrosion on shock absorber piston shafts".

Reply to
Jim Keenan

I don't change my oil in the fall because I would rather have the oil be a little thinner in the winter. It seems hard on the engine when the engine & oil are very cold. On the other hand, I would rather have nice thick / new oil in the summer. Summer is when the engine gets the most use and abuse.

My 2 cents

Chris

73 911 E
Reply to
C McFaul

Chris,

I don't think it's good to confuse quality of the oil with the viscosity. If you want thinner oil in the winter put thinner oil in the car, don't drive around with shitty oil in the car thinking that the viscosity breakdown is doing wonderful things for your engine! That's just stupid!

c.d.

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I change the oil once a year and only drive 1000 mi per year. I do notice higher oil pressure with newly changed oil. Oil pressure will peg at 100 + with cold oil above 2500 RPM. This comes down slightly as the oil thins over the year. I use Mobil One 10W30 and it takes 13 qts so I doubt I am running too long between oil changes. I also do a few DE's in the summer and feel a lot better knowing the oil is nice and fresh during the summer. After a hard run oil pressure will be very low at idle. Again I like having nice new oil during these times.

My car is 30 years old, gets the hell run out of it, and comes back for more. My oil changing ritual seems to be working and would not consider it stupid.

Chris

73 911 E
Reply to
C McFaul