Help buying 911 SC

I'm trying to purchase a 911. A friend suggested this forum to get inputs. Car I'm considering is a 1980 911 SC Euro Version. It has the 3.0L engine with 58,000 original miles (Red with Whale tail, cream leather with new Pirelli P6000 Sport Veloce). Photos show it to be in mint condition. Question is - are there any known problems with this model? What would you look at. I plan on taking it to Porsche dealer for check. Any know strengths or weakness of this particular model/year? What are questions that you would ask? Thanks in advance

Reply to
Boneman

We're good, but I'd also recommend the Pelican Parts 911 BBS, home of the 911SC World Domination Plot. For a Euro car, you need to check if your area requires DOT and EPA records proving the car is Federalized (altered for US roads and emissions). Common upgrades for the SC's 3.0 engine are hydraulic chain tensioners and a pop-off valve for the airbox. I'd also recommend checking the exhaust system and make sure the heat exchangers and muffler are in good working order and there are no broken head studs. The 911SC is known for being a long-lived reliable engine and mine's proven so in the 30k I've put on it. They were among the first fully galvanized Porsches and so rust problems are rare unless the car's been in an accident. Emanuel

Reply to
E Brown