help with 84 911

Can someone help me. My 84 carrera oil gauge stays at 5 most of the time, occasionally it jerks to 3 andthen back to five. rarely, at idle ,it reads about 3. This started suddenly (106,000 on engine). When I ground the sender wire the gauge goes to 0. Now, I can't get at the sender to remove it and I can't find any info in my service manual on how to check the sender. I took the gauge out and there is no binding or rubbing of the needle, it seems to jerk when it moves. Can anyone tell me how to check the sender, how to remove it with out any special tools, and how to determine whether my problem is the gauge or sender. Thanks alot

Reply to
john