  • Reply to: All; "Paddington"
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 05:57:34 -0500 GMT
  • Subj: Over heating at idle.. ======================================================================

P>Today I stopped at the local Porsche dealer to drool over a 911 P>turbo I've been dreaming of. I let my 86 944 idle for about 5 P>minutes while I was looking at it, and when I came back the water P>temperature gauge was well into the red sector with the dash P>warning light on. Now sometimes when I pull up to a red-light the P>car will heat up a little but drop down as soon as I drive away, P>but nothing like this. I put the car in gear and drove away and P>instantly the water temperature dropped right back down to the P>normal range first hash mark. The car has less than 500 miles on a P>new water pump and thermostat. When I had this done the shop also P>replaced a lower radiator hose and had to fill it back up with P>coolant. Do you think they didn't bleed the system properly? What P>else could cause this to happen? I've never seen it heat up into P>the red zone before, hope it didn't do any damage.

Check both of the fan fuses in the fuse box. Can't remember their exact numbers but it should be listed on the underside of the fuse box lid. You might want to rebleed the system too.

-- Jack

Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.

bleed the cooling system

check to see if a fan comes on as the temp goes above the middle of the gauge, w/o the a/c on.

turn on a/c , ck to see if a fan comes on.

replace the fan switch that hides under the t> Today I stopped at the local Porsche dealer to drool over a 911 turbo I've

Reply to
D Corley

Thanks for the quick response. While I was standing out there I did hear the fan kick on, and it does kick on during driving too. I have no idea how to bleed a cooling system, as my skills are quite limited, but if I take it back to the shop and tell them what happend do you feel that they should re-bleed it free of charge?

Thanks!

Reply to
Paddington

find the top radiator hose , follow it to the top of the engine to just in front of the intake manifold where it connects to the top of the engine, on the top of the inlet pipe between the engine and the hose, you will see a 12mm cap screw, loosen it part way , DO NOT TAKE IT OUT

park the car on a flat area, open the coolant recovery tank, fill it to the mark, put on parking brake, put in neutral, start engine, open the heater to max hot,

let engine warm up, as it warms up you should start to see fluid coming out of the 12mm screw area, wait until the radiator fan kicks on, tighten the screw, and you are done...

shut everything off, refill the coolant recovery tank if necessary...

Padd>

Reply to
D Corley

  • Reply by Jack D. Russell, Sr.
  • Newsgroup: alt.autos.porsche,alt.autos.porsche.944
  • Reply to: All; "Paddington"
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 06:46:47 -0500 GMT
  • Subj: Re: Over heating at idle.. ====================================================================== P>Thanks for the quick response. While I was standing out there I P>did hear the fan kick on, and it does kick on during driving too. P>I have no idea how to bleed a cooling system, as my skills are P>quite limited, but if I take it back to the shop and tell them P>what happend do you feel that they should re-bleed it free of P>charge?

They should bleed it for free anyway as it's a simple procedure. I use a radiator pressure tester to bleed mine, but you can do it manually. See

several procedures. Follow the top radiator hose to where itconnects to the cylinder head to find the bolt that you need to loosento vent the system. Good luck.-- Jack

Reply to
Jack D. Russell, Sr.

buy cars cheap at

Carsexporter

Shaddap...!

Reply to
The Dead Senator

Reply to
william_b_noble

yup,

bleed valve and 12mm screw are the same thing,

"as it warms up you should start to see fluid coming out of the 12mm screw area,"

DC

Reply to
D Corley

Sounds like the thermo switch is bad or the fan relay, or the mechanic may have knocked the push on connections on the thermo switch loose when working on it. Also, the radiator will need to be air bled more than once if the coolant has been drained. If you drive the car every day then check the coolant level each day for a week. Also, do not use tap water. Only distilled water or ethylene glycol coolant. You have an alloy block which does not like electrolysis.

Reply to
George Hamilton

at the risk of sounding harsh, if you cannot rotate a single nut 360 degrees and then observe coolant flowing out a little hole until it has no bubbles, you really ought to have someone teach you how to hold a wrench and which end of a screwdriver fits into your hand. What you need to do can be done by a 4 year old with her eyes closed.

Reply to
william_b_noble

Don't forget that this is someone who can't turn off the engine of one car while he goes to look at another.

Thereby single-handedly causing the lousy weather we are having at the moment in the UK.

Reply to
Paul Spencer