time for a tune up?

I have an 86 944 with 124k. Runs nice and smooth but idles maybe a tad rough at times, but not too bad. I was driving a friends 84 944 the other day and noticed that his car had a lot more power in the lower rev range, below 4000. If you rolled on the throttle around 2-3,000 rpm it really pulled strong, where mine has almost no pull at the same speed. It starts to pull harder as it should around 4000rpm but loses its urge completely around 5500 and doesn't really want to pull up to the redline.

I know the previous owner installed new plugs in 2002 before i bought it (at

95k) but I think the plug wires/rotor/distributor might be original. The wires look to be cracked and brittle. I just replaced the air and fuel filters. Is my performance likely lacking due to old ignition equipment, or could I also be looking at dirty injectors among other things? I'm especially interested in why my engine doesn't pull strong at lower revs compared to other 944s?

Thanks!

Reply to
Jack Galvin

I would meter compression in cylinders first to check if it is at appropriate level.

Reply to
Paul Utkin

Lots of things can be wrong on a 20-year old car. Also lots of things that can't be checked well. You may end up throwing parts at it.

I'd check:

Fuel leakage in the vacuum system. The regulator and damper can leak. Once the rubber hose connectors get soft they'll leak and come apart.

Vacuum leaks. Look for cracked ends of rubber lines.

Unplug/replug all the electrical connectors on the engine for the FI system.

Check the resistance of the "Temp sensor II" which has a blue connector. It's roughly below the throttle body. I forget the good numbers.

Run some Techron or Seafoam theough the system.

Jack Galv> I have an 86 944 with 124k. Runs nice and smooth but idles maybe a tad

Reply to
someone