12volt

Just got my car on Monday I want to install my ham radio in it.Does any one no where I can pick up 12 volts ?Would like to go directly to the source and not use the cig liter socket .. Is the aux battery in the back 12 volt?????I need to get a manual ( Repair )so I can see what's going on in the car has anyone bought one ???? is it a pricy thing??? So far its a fun car although the gas mileage is down to 39gpm but I,v had so many people wanting to drive it and of course they have to see if it has any power so out the window go the gas mileage.. But its fun to drive by the local gas robbers and just smile ( We are 20 miles away from where they make the gas ( Lima Ohio ) and we are 15 cents a gallon higher then there.. go fogger The rich get richer don't they !!!!!!

Reply to
Don

There are some comments in the Prius manual regarding the installation of two-way radios. Primarily, as I recall, the concern is over the two-way radio's EMF jamming the Prius' electronics. I remember back in the '70's when a friend of mine installed his ham radio in his fiberglass Corvette. He first keyed the mike at about 60 mph, shutting the electronic ignition down. Unless the chips used in the various Prius computers are EMF hardened, a strong enough EMF could generate sufficient current to burn through conductors with a diameter roughly that of a blood cell.

Reply to
Bill

Yes, the aux is 12 volts. The aux battery is charged by an inverter powered by the main traction battery pack.

If you are a HAM, then you understand proper shielding, grounding and such. There are computers right under the dashboard. A local area network is used to communicate between some of the electronics. You probably don't want to throw a cheap linear amp into the glovebox. :)

Other than that, there should be no problems. Toyota has a disclaimer in all of thier manuals about high powered transmitters in the car. I think it's a CYA type of notice.

Enjoy your new toy!

Daniel

Reply to
dbs__usenet

richard schumacher

Sounds like you answered your own question. Just wire it directly to the 12 V battery, fused of course. Bring it through the firewall with a small hole - and make sure you use a rubber grommet to prevent cutting the wire. I used 12 gauge (12 awg) stranded wire for my setup. Whenever you need to work on the unit, simply remove the fuse at the POS. terminal. If your antenna is up front, bring it through the firewall the same way, with a separate hole, grommeted of course.

my 2 cents.

Reply to
Lance