2010 Cruise Control

The 2010 cruise control differs from the 2005 cruise control. The good news is that it remembers it's setting even when you come to a complete stop and resumes once you are above about 25 mph. The bad news is that, in the ECO mode at least, it maintains the set speed +/- about 3 mph on roads with small hills.

When the 2010 cruise is set the lever behaves just like the gas pedal. Hold it up and it accelerates constantly. Hold it down and it starts charging the traction battery to reduce speed more quickly. Moving up or down, you have to lead it a bit to arrive at the desired speed. For example, if you are at 45 and hold the lever up until you reach 55, releasing the lever at that speed, you will end up cruising at 57 or 58.

Reply to
Al Falfa

Your 2005 cruise control did the same thing.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Same thing with the 04.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I missed it. I don't believe the 2005's cruise would resume once a person had dropped below about 25 mph. Did I miss that too?

Reply to
Al Falfa

No, you didn't miss that part; it's one of the things I don't like about the 04-09 cruise control.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

The cruise control lever will also increase speed in incremental steps of

1mph if you flick it upwards, about once every 3/4 sec. or so, and decrease speed by the same amount if you flick it downwards. Quite useful when your speed doesn't quite match the car in front. Not as useful as radar controlled adaptive cruise, though, which Toyota thinks us Brits aren't grown up enough to have yet....... :-(
Reply to
Chas Gill

Nope. My 94 Lexus cancelled the cruise once below 25, and so does my 07 Prius.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes, the 2010 does the incremental bump too but in the ECO mode it's not nearly as responsive as in the power mode. While I'm on modes, there seems to be 4 modes of operation. The 3 buttons (EV, ECO and Power) select deviations from what I'll call "normal". In other words, the fourth set of operational parameters is achieved by not selecting any of the other three. In that "normal" mode it performs very much like my 2005 did.

Reply to
Al Falfa

The 2010 drops out of cruise below 25 too, but, unlike my 2005, it remembers the setting and can be resumed by pushing the control upward once one is back above 25. In the 2005 I had to manually accelerate back to the desired speed and set the cruise again.

Another difference I've noticed, one which may indicate an adjustment is necessary, is the cancellation of cruise when the brake pedal is depressed. The 2005 was so sensitive I could cancel the cruise by brushing my foot across the brake pedal. In the 2010 the cruise doesn't cancel until brake action begins with the brake depressed more than an inch. I've reverted to cancelling it by pulling the lever toward me.

Reply to
Al Falfa

yep. That was the Toyota standard for a long, long time. I wonder when someone wised up?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Perhaps when I and a billion other Toyota owners whined about it. :-)

Reply to
Al Falfa

yeah, but I'm pretty sure they couldn't hear me grumbling in my car as I pulled away from the toll booth--which is the only time it really affected me...

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I use my cruise in town a lot. Lets me pay more attention to traffic while keeping me from getting a speeding ticket since I can't sense the difference between 35 and 40 mph and tend to creep upward if I don't pay attention to the speedometer. It compensates for one of my many shortcomings.

Reply to
Al Falfa

I've noticed that too, though I consider it a feature: when going down a steep downgrade, or after cresting a rise, sometimes your speed will go significantly above the set speed. You can do gentle braking to keep to the desired speed without disengaging the CC. I find this especially helpful when trying to keep the speed below 45 MPH on a downgrade, so the ICE doesn't start spinning.

Also, when the CC is engaged, the dynamic braking is stronger on a downgrade than when coasting without the CC set, which also helps keep you from exceeding the set speed on a downgrade.

Reply to
Mr. G

I do the same thing, it takes some getting used to but now it's a habit now and the easy way to keep from getting in town tickets. I use the GPS to check the speedometer and can go the legal limit (well maybe a couple of miles over sometimes) and get to where ever I'm going as quick as legally possible. If someone wants to tailgate that's their problem not mine.

Reply to
Fatter Than Ever Moe