406 Cruise Control

Cruise control on 1997 406 2 l is acting up - see previous post. The system will hold speed the on level or slightly uphill but on steeper hills overshoots by 5-10 km/hr (about 3-6 mph). It used to catch overspeed and keep speed to very close tolerances. Have already removed the slack by tightening the cruise control vacuum actuator cable to the throttle, which has only marginally improved performance. In addition there is no change if you use the steering column wand to reduce speed . The wand control to raise speed works OK. Suspect some hamfisted mechanic has maladjusted the system or left something undone, as the cruise control cable adjuster nut was loose and the clips to adjust the accelerator cable were in the wrong place when I first started to look at the problem. My thoughts are that the control solenoid may not be releasing air from the vacuum cylinder fast enough. Has anyone had any similar problems and reached a solution?

Reply to
Bob Chambers