2010 Prius II: Poor On-Center Steering

We are used to cars that self-correct a bit to keep the wheels pointed straight while driving on the highway, but our new Prius doesn't seem to want to self-correct. It has the 15" wheels and OEM tires, 40psi front, 38 rear. Is this normal, and can it be improved?

Reply to
Leftie

I've been hearing this complaint since the car came out.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

I increased the pressure in my tires (42/40) to improve mileage without seeing any measurable improvement. The ride got rougher and the steering became overly sensitive. I'm going back to the the lower pressure Toyota specifies.

Reply to
Al Falfa

What's the stock caster setting?

Reply to
News

My fallback option is to go to 38/36 and see if that helps.

Reply to
Leftie

You must be thinking of the Volt. I believe it has casters instead of tires. :-)

Reply to
Al Falfa
Reply to
Larry Van Wormer

Far more efficient than increasing toe-in scrub and drag.

Reply to
News

I don't understand the concern over the caster setting. If you go back in this thread you will see the caster question was posed in response to this:

"I increased the pressure in my tires (42/40) to improve mileage without seeing any measurable improvement. The ride got rougher and the steering became overly sensitive. I'm going back to the the lower pressure Toyota specifies."

I have since gone back to the recommended pressure which, in turn, restored the ride and steering. In other words, the steering issue was solved by simply restoring the tire pressure to Toyota's recommended level.

Reply to
Al Falfa

The original question was posed by 'Leftie', who has not indicated a solution:

Al Falfa wrote: >

My fallback option is to go to 38/36 and see if that helps.

Reply to
News

Well, if it's not designed to be adjustable, your necessary use of a large hammer will surely void your warranty.

Perhaps some Prius mechanical expert knows whether caster is adjustable and whether there is a more elegant fix than using said large hammer.

Reply to
News

That's right, and the input is generally appreciated. I thought that maybe increasing the caster setting might help, but is there any downside?

Reply to
Leftie