2010 Prius body paint

Initially when I read that a second coat of paint was being offered as an option on the 2010 Toyota Prius - I was skeptical about its value. After owning a 2010 Toyota Prius III (blue ribbon), for only less than five months I am finding tiny chip are peeling off the body in the oddest places like on the panel behind the left rear door under the gas cap port. Maybe that 2nd coat of paint would have been a good option? Well, I've been trying to be careful in the parking lots but that doesnot seem to be the problem. The body panels where these chips are appear smooth and undamaged. Could it be road debris hitting the body? I don't know. Sofar I've only washed and polished the car twice. I've got some touch up paint from the dealership - but maybe there is something else I should consider? Maybe a front grill nose mask? Should I get the Prius repainted and clear coated two years from now? I've notice quite a few 2nd gen Prius where I live with scruffy paint jobs so I am not taking this too personal - but I'd like to avoid having the Prius rust prematurely on me. Any advice to protect the Prius from rusting away in a rust belt state?

Reply to
Neo

Most cars on the road today use pretty much the same paint from one of the major suppliers (ppg, DuPont, or BASF). The only care that your paint job needs is gentle washing. The worst thing you can do to a modern automotive paint coating is to apply some sort of 'polish' to it which does nothing but weaken the paint in exchange for a possible short term increase in lustre (added by the polish) that will quickly fade away. If you are already reaching for the touch-up paint on a 2010 vehicle then the paint was either improperly applied (EXTREMELY unlikely with a Prius), has suffered some sort of road damage (as you suggest), or has been exposed to some kind of chemical attach (brake fluid and oxygenated gasoline are the biggest culprits). Throw the polish away, wash your car with soap and water, and watch for further deterioration.

Reply to
David T. Johnson

What does your dealer tell you about this paint problem? I guess there is still some warranty on the carpaint?

Reply to
Thibaud Taudin Chabot