Engine off, high pitch low volume noise

We just bought a Gen III Prius.

Has anyone else noticed, after turning off their vehicle, a very high pitched tone? It's not very loud, and if it were any higher pitched, it would be out of range for my 38 year old ears.

Troy

ps - It's not just my imagination, my wife hears it too. :-)

Reply to
Up2Late

RTFM. Toyota hears it, too, and that's why they tell you to expect it.

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

Reply to
Fred Seaver

Has anyone else read the manual that comes with that shiny new $25,000 toy?

Maybe that person can read it to you. At bedtime. With warm cocoa and your snuggly blankie and favorite stuffed animal.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Oh my God. You haven't read even one bit of the manual.

And then you come to someplace like this and ask to be spoon-fed pieces of it a bit at a time, because you're too lazy and can't be bothered.

What the hell does having three kids "all active in sports" and your working have to do with anything? Nothing, that's what.

You made a CHOICE not to read your owner's manual. And it was a BAD choice. You know nothing about the operation of your car--but hey, "I know how to drive a car, just give me the keys to this incredibly complex piece of technology," right?

Fuck off. If you can't be bothered to pick up the manual and read it, then just stop right there. It's one thing not to understand what the manual means by something; it's something else entirely to demand that the world bow to you and your choice not to read it at all and your demand that we feed it to you as you desire, a bit at a time.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Up2Late:

I was the first, or one of the first, to respond with RTFM. I did not mean to say it in an unfriendly way; I took the trouble to add that the sound is normal and expected.

Bzzzzzt! Wrong question! The right question was "Given that the Toyota Prius is fundamentally different in a number ways to any other car I have owned, should I take time from my very busy schedule to read the entire manual?"

The answer to that question is "Yes."

Davoud

Reply to
Davoud

He made the choice to bother those of us who DID read the manual and/or lurk around to know the answer, and that was the wrong CHOICE.

Rather than use HIS OWN time, he demanded the valuable time of others.

In other words, he's a selfish asshole who doesn't think twice about taking from others.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

His failure to RTFM pales in comparison to the ensuing stir. Anybody here have a life?

Reply to
Was Istoben

I thought newsgroups were for discussion, not for reading the owner's manual to people "too busy" (read: too lazy) to do it for themselves.

Those people can just f*ck off.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Hey Elmo, if weren't for people who didn't read the manual nobody would know how smart you are. Look at it as a chance to show off.

Reply to
Was Istoben

Or who read it and don't get it or miss it somehow; but who, in good faith, ask a reasonable question and then get slammed for being dumb, lazy, etc. I'm none of those; I'd just like a polite answer or no answer, please.

TKM

Reply to
TKM

Took possession of my 2010 yesterday. So far I've noticed these differences from my 2005:

On the 2005 my cruise would release with a tap on the brake. On the 2010 it takes about 1/2" depression.

The 2010 in Economy mode is sluggish compared to the 2005. I haven't tried to performance mode.

The mileage instrumentation is more sophisticated and more complete on the

2010 however it was easier to read on the 2005's LCD display.

The 2010 Nav system is remarkably different from the 2005 even though the

2005 has the latest software release.

The 2010's handling at highway speeds is slightly different from the 2005's however that may be due to the dealer-set tire pressure. the 2010 came with Yokohama tires, the 2005 came with Goodyear tires.

The optional carpets for the 2010 are crap compared to the ones that came with the 2005.

The cup holders on the 2010, front and rear, are less convenient than on the

2005.

Entire family felt the black 2005 given to my daughter and looking like new with a fresh wax job was more attractive than the dark metallic gray 2010. The interior color scheme (dark gray on both) was much better in the 2005.

Without trying, I got an hour's worth of 5-minute bars all of which were above 50 driving 55 mph with light/variable wind. If it will do this new, I suspect it will easily beat my overall 52 mpg average with the 2005.

The backup camera works far better than I expected. The steering wheel button/display feature is nice however after memorizing the buttons on the

2005 it is initially clumsy.

The fuzzy material on the 2005's dash has been replaced by smooth material that will be much easier to clean.

The CD and DVD insertion features are completely different. The LCD screen swings down at the touch of a button exposing a slot for the six CDs as well as a slot for the NAV DVD.

The 2010 comes with and specifies synthetic oil so oil changes will be more expensive.

All of the windows in the 2010 have express mode, not just the driver's window as in the 2005.

The rear windows in the 2010 go all the way down, unlike the rear windows in the 2005.

The tools in the 2010 are inconveniently located under the rear storage area so you must remove that to gain access to the tow screw.

The 2010 has two tow screw points instead of one as with the 2005.

The Climate control buttons are more convenient on the 2010, located around the LCD display.

I like sliding in and out of the 2010 on it's leather seats however they are hot compared to the cloth seats on the 2005. The fabric on the 2005 cleans so easily that the heated leather seats aren't worth the extra bucks. I might change my mind about that this winter.

On the GEN3 the plastic tub that holds the engine coolant is located right where the tub that hold the windshield washer fluid on the GEN2. You just know someone is going to fill it with washer fluid, probably someone at your Toyota dealership.

On the GEN3 there are a pair of heavy cables connecting to a box just to the left of the box containing the battery jump point. One of these has a durable boot over the plug, the other does not, leaving the small, individual wires exposed. I don't know if this was an oversight on my car or what, but there should have been a boot on that cable head.

With the GEN2 and GEN 3 side-by-side, about the only similarity one sees is the location of the jump point. The gas engine on the GEN 3 looks to be 50% larger than on the GEN 2, and the hybrid assembly on the GEN 3 looks to be

50% smaller than on the GEN 2.

The external door locks are very different. On the hatch, the doors are locked by pressing a button hidden next to the latch release. On the doors, the buttons have been replaced by sensors on the door handles. Overall, this improves the appearance.

I'm only about 10% into TFM but I did study the section on the tire pressure monitor and it indicates I will have to dismount and remount my snow tires (on their own alloy wheels) to replace the conventional valve stems with some that work with the monitor. Does anyone know if these are generic devices available from any tire shop?

TFM for the nav system is twice as thick as the one for the 2005. That one will put me to sleep for several nights.

Reply to
Was Istoben

No, there shouldn't have been--any more than there's a boot on the ground cable of ANY car.

Yes, that boot-less cable is the ground cable. Now go to any non-Prius and open the hood and look at the battery cables. One is booted, the other one isn't.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No, it is NOT a ground cable. It has about 20 conductors of various colors ranging in size from 18 gauge to 22 gauge. These wires rise about 2" from the head of the plug, exposed, at which point they converge into the cable sheath.

Reply to
Was Istoben