Prius at 100MPH?

I just saw that Al Gore's son was pulled over for driving his Prius at

100MPH. Is this possible? I have a Prius (2007 version) and have the impression it would be working hard to get up to 90!

Has anyone heard of a Prius going at 100 before?

John Baker

Reply to
JHB

Mine (2005) stops at 180 km/h. That is about 112 mph. It certainly does work to go there, but not more than any other car with about the same amount of power.

It does keep its speed on slight uphills, so I presume there would be enough power to go on a little further. But it's governed by the max rpm on the traction motor, so that's where it stops.

It's no more fun at 110 mph than at 70 or 80, but it consumes a lot more at 110.

cu .\\arc

Reply to
Marc Gerges

I've had my 2003, NHW11 up to 94 mph before running out of road:

With another mile or so, I'd have been to 100 mph but the up coming curve was built for 50 mph.

Bob Wilson

Reply to
Bob & Holly Wilson

My '04 has cruised nicely at 100 or more on the road to Las Vegas, and was often passed by other traffic. That's probably the fastest highway in CA...

Reply to
notaguru

I have an '05. After the break in period, I wound mine up as fast as it would go. I got to 105. Now I have my tires inflated to 47psi. I had them at 50psi when I go them but the car didn't feel very secure at my normal 64 mph. I couldn't imagine how unsafe it would feel at

105 mph with the tires inflated any higher.

One of the un-for-seen benifits of my owning and driving my Prius is that I drive no faster than 64 mph now. My mileage is consistantly over 50mpg, and I have not gotten a speeding ticket since I bought it. My whole driving style is much less aggressive, and I have reson to believe my whole attitude is more calm and relaxed.

~John

Reply to
jj