Toyota makes $3,100 on each Prius sold

And of course, there's also the dealer's profit, and in certain parts of the US, the distributor's profit.

Report: Honda, Toyota Earning Profits on Hybrids

The Nikkei reports that Toyota and Honda are both making estimated profits of about ¥300,000 (about US$3,100) each on every hybrid they sell, similar to what they make on small, gasoline-engined vehicles.

If Honda sells 200,000 Insight hybrids worldwide in the first year of its release, the company would generate sales of more than 350 billion yen [US$3.6 billion]. Since it estimates a gross profit margin of more than 15% on the car?priced at under 2 million yen&mash;its gross profit on Insight sales is projected to hit around 60 billion yen [US$622 million] in the first year, or around 300,000 yen per unit.

The gross profit earned on the Insight is still low when factoring in the large R&D costs involved in its development. However, the profit margin on its hybrid operations has risen to the level where Honda can count on it to generate the fourth-largest revenue stream behind its luxury, midsize and small car operations.

The Nikkei report said that Toyota appears to have earned gross profits of around ¥100 billion yen (US$1 billion) on its sales of second-generation Prius hybrids last year. Toyota¹s gross profit margin on the sales of the next-generation 2010 Prius are projected to be in the single digits in the first year.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

I have no problem with that.

Michelle Steiner wrote in news:michelle- snipped-for-privacy@mara100-84.onlink.net:

Reply to
tiki

Nor do I; I posted it because of the "Toyota loses money on the Prius" BS we've seen.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

Though individual sales are contributory, on a fully allocated basis, including R&D cost and weighted average cost of invested capital, the program may still be losing money.

Reply to
News

Not according to the article I posted at the head of this thread.

Reply to
Michelle Steiner

If this is the basis of their accounting, I wouldn't bet the farm on it:

"If Honda sells 200,000 Insight hybrids worldwide in the first year of its release, the company would generate sales of more than 350 billion yen [US$3.6 billion]. Since it estimates a gross profit margin of more than 15% on the car..."

Reply to
News

The operative word here is "gross" and for all practical purposes useless. The only meaningful measure is NET profit.

Reply to
Was Istoben

That's part of the armchair media accounting problem.

Reply to
News