Re: Turbo on it's way out?

More problems I'm afraid... I started her up this afternoon after work, and

> an unbelievable amount of white smoke came out the exhaust for just a few > seconds then everything was as normal. Did it again this evening too, > although not quite so much white smoke. > > Also I notice there is oil getting into the boost guage pipe, more than just > mist too. It's too hot to do anything now, but I think I'm burning oil. > Does this sound right, and where can I check? Would this also explain the > lumpy idle now, if the sparks are getting coated with the black stuff? > > I need to get this sorted out, and I get bonus from work in 2 days. Is > there any reputable mechanic/garage within a reasonable distance from Oxford > who could help me out? - and I don't want some half-ass mechanic rip me off. > > Thanks, > Steve :( (not so happy now) > > > > Rover 420 GSi Turbo > > > > Last night I accelerated to 90 in 3rd, then changed up to 4th (about > > 5,500rpm) and kept my foot on the floor, and then the boost dropped > > from 0.8bar @ 4,000rpm to 0.6bar and a distinct lack of > > power/torque. Same when I tried to change up to 5th. It also did > > it again this morning. Normally it's 0.8bar all the way to 6,000rpm > > when it drops to 0.7bar at the red line. > > > > Also, this morning, I noticed that when I floor it in 2nd gear the > > needle on my boost guage, instead of hitting 0.8bar and holding, it's > > starting to peak at 1 bar before dropping down to 0.8bar. "Holy crap" > > sprang to mind. I tried it several times and it's not just a one-off. > > > > Any ideas about this erratic behaviour? It's not the boost guage as > > I can feel the difference in power. I'm using '95 unleaded as usual > > now. I'm worried about blowing the turbo. I was just about to buy a > > GBE boost valve but don't want to do this if the turbo might go awol > > any day now. > > > > > > > > > >

I know this is a bit old now, don't know if you're sorted yet.

White smoke from the exhaust is generally a symptom of a leaking head gasket - water getting into the bores and coming out of the exhaust as steam. Don't know if this could cause the anomalies with the turbo...

Reply to
Mr.Flobolob

| I know this is a bit old now, don't know if you're sorted yet. | | White smoke from the exhaust is generally a symptom of a leaking head | gasket - water getting into the bores and coming out of the exhaust as | steam. Don't know if this could cause the anomalies with the turbo...

Thanks for replying. It's sorted now - it was a broken cylinder. One of the ring lands came out in 12 pieces.

Steve :)

Reply to
Stephen A