MG Rover Spares

Anyone here got any idea what is going on in the Rover spares dept. at the moment? I get the impression there isn't one any more... been waiting months now for a part (under warranty!) for my new ZS & the dealer can't even proffer a likely delivery date, never mind the part.... I'm pretty annoyed, needless to say. I'm beginning to think a call to the local Trading Standards office could be in order...

Reply to
Fred Armitage

what's the part?

Reply to
Alan

It's the piece of plastic trim which sits below the steering column on the dash.

Reply to
Fred Armitage

There was an article on BBC Watchdog about 18 months ago. When MG Rover was formed one of the first things they did was to transfer the spares dealership from Unipart (which they had used since the 1970's and possibly earlier) to Caterpillar (the US firm) to cut costs and make more profit. The problem was that spares became difficult to come by, as there were serious distribution problem.

It should have been sorted out by now?

Liam

Reply to
Liam Wright

The history is that the contract with unipart had come to an end and BMW (spit) had decided to set up its own parts distribution system to get more profits. When the scum them ran away with all the goodies, MGR had to find a parts distributor. CAT logistics had the facilities and ability, but the system given to them by BMW gave totally unreasonable parts requirements on some parts and none on others, so it has taken them some time to sort out their stock. Plus, a few companies have also gone to the wall and suitable replacements take time, and the first call has to be on production. lat year, to help sort out the stock situation, CAT came into Longbridge and took stock off the production line.

Reply to
Alan