Rover 220SD soot question

Hi,

I have a Rover 220SD on S-Reg with 110K on the clock.

When the car starts being a diesel I expect a bit of smoke out the exhaust. However when the engine has reached its running temp (half way normally) and If I rev it to 3500 RPM and above it chucks out a whole load of soot from the exhaust and leaves a black mark on the road. Is this normal?

I am going to change the oil on the weekend to see if this makes a difference (using Castrol GTD 10W 40). Is there anything else I could do to perhaps reduce the amount of soot it produces. The car is not miss firing or does not have any other trouble i.e. starting up etc ..

Appreciate your comments

Regards

Reply to
Abid

Change the air filter for a start. Your not burning all the fuel.

Also, check the intake hoses form kinks and blockages.

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

If that doesn't work then try a replacement coolant and/or MAF sensor from a scrapyard.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

I already have replaced the coolant sensor but will service it on the weekend so new air filter and stuff see if that makes any difference. Will changing the fuel filter make any difference? Also not being a SDi just SD is there anything i can use to clean the fuel system. Will injector cleaner do more harm than good?

Thanks for your comments.

Reply to
Abid

Injector cleaner may well work but I've no experience I can share. The difference between the SD and SDi is that the SDi (most obviously) has an intercooler whereas the standard SD doesn't. However, the SDi also doesn't have a throttle cable to the injection pump, instead relying using a 'drive-by-wire' electronic link and a few extra sensors which the SD doesn't have - the end result is more power and economy from the same engine.

Darren

P.S.

I've heard it mentioned that ATF works well as injector cleaner, though I can't confirm this...

Reply to
Darren Jarvis