9.3 tinkling noise

I have a 9.3 aero manual sedan (2006 Australia). Almost since new there has been this faint tinkling noise that come from behind the front seats somewhere. It mainly happens when the car suddenly accelerates or brakes, so it seems to be caused by sudden movement. Quite faint and best described as sounding like champagne glasses being "toasted" with a single "tink". It seems to be getting more frequent and the car's being serviced this week.....hoping someone might be aware of what it is so I can let the service people know because history has taught me they aren't real good at working these sort of things out.

Reply to
pmg

Oh my! I was just going to ask the exact same thing. I just had the same thing happen today to me for the first time. I usually hear a bit of shifting and other things in the back of the car, but today, I heard this really strange tinkling which is just as you describe it. I really don't know what it was. I did notice that it was really cold today, and there was ice on the windshields, so I thought that maybe it was because of that, but now that you mention something about it, I think it must be something else? Was yours accompanied by a smell? The first time I heard this was as I was passing an accident, and I suddenly got this wiff of electrical burnout, and I couldn't tell what was going on. So I listened more carefully and I heard it with the smell. I wasn't sure if the smell was coming from the accident or if it was correlated with the sound.

After a bit more driving, I did not hear the tinkling any more, but I also wasn't doing much hard accelerating or decelerating either.

I would love to know what the answer to this question is.

- Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Hsu