BREAKING NEWS: SAAB files for bankruptcy. Asks government for help in making it an independent car company again.

Saab, the Swedish automaker owned by General Motors, filed for bankruptcy protection Friday and asked the Swedish government for help in making it an independent car company again.

Reply to
power

My next thought will be VAG buying it up, and Saab/Scania being re- united.

Reply to
Elder

"Elder" skrev i meddelelsen news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net...

They're working on a plan to unite Saab with Opel and Vauxhall.

Saab has applied for an investment loan from EIB....

Cheers!

Reply to
Henrik B.

I hope Saab would be the ruling partner in that Arrangement and choose the best advice from the other two.

Reply to
Elder

I read that that the export and import of cars and parts are stopped.

With Saab loss for 19 of the last 20 years, I'm surprised if anyone would pay to get it, and I doubt that it will be the leading anything.

I'm worried if I will be able to get spareparts.

Frustrated

Reply to
Balo

Balo gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

One minor supplier stopped supply for one day.

is about the best, most reliable, and most level headed news site at the mo.

Reply to
Adrian

"Balo" skrev i meddelelsen news: snipped-for-privacy@telenor.com...

Rubbish! Saab made a plus, one of the years 2005 - 2007. Only reason for not showing in the books, was "transfer-pricing" from GM. Only Opel were suppossed to make a plus, which made GM take the plus and "give" it to Opel...

Reply to
Henrik B.

But its no longer making a plus because no one is selling new cars. Total UK car sales have dropped by 30-40%, cars are left in fields, Honda UK plant is on 3 day week. In that situation, either every car maker can contract or some can go out of business. Since volume is necessary for economies of scale, and since cars are largely substitutable items, it will be the latter option, unfortunately. I will be sad to see Saab go, but they lack truly innovative and mouth watering cars while Vauxhall/Opel and Ford largely have entered their territory.

Reply to
Johannes Andersen

My understanding, reading swedish newspapers was: Swedish customs stopped all exports and imports due to SAAB was not able to pay customs. In addition one supplier stopped supply.

GM has paid the 1,1 billion SEK bill, so operations could continue.

Hope Saab can have a positive cash flow....

Reply to
Balo