difference in ride/power 9-3

I have year 2000, 93 -low pressure autobox and love it. Goes like stink when called to perform! Looking for newer 93, perhaps the anniversary edition with premium upgrades. Is it worth it? What are SAAB peoples opinions on the differences between low and high pressure turbo engines? Gas needs to be a better grade in the high pressure but is the extra expense worth a more powerful turbo engine?

Thanks, . . . .Gin

'83 900 Turbo -still going '88 9000 auto -dead gear box but shows well. '00 93 low pressure Turbo -automatic daily driver Next car . . .a '93 convertible!!

Reply to
Ginny Wong

I had a 2000 9-3SE 5-speed convertible for a short time. The SE was the loaded version with the HOT engine. I bought it used as a project car and fixed it up. I ended up hating it. The engine had tons of power, but the turbo lag was significant, the shifter was mushy, the chassis flexed like crazy (cowl shake) and the fly-by-wire engine control that year had the annoying habit of holding the rpms up when you released the accelerator to shift. I ended up selling it and buying a BMW Z3 for a toy car instead.

Fast forward to this year. Sold the toy car as it was not getting used enough. When the sun is shining I'd rather be on 2 wheels and when it's not that car (Z3) was useless. Started looking for another car to stick in the garage and test drove some 9-3 Sport Sedans. Wow. HUGE difference compared to the older style 9-3s.

I was looking at MY2003's mostly because these are what is coming off lease (and I never buy new cars). I would have settled for a Linear (185HP) with a 5 speed but ended up getting a Vector (name for an Aero that year) with the HOT 210HP 2 liter engine and a 6 speed manual. Once I drove the Vector I knew I had to have the full package. It does everything superbly, is a freeking blast to drive and gets > 30mpg in the process.

Do yourself a favor and drive a few of these (tyhe newer Sport Sedans) before you make up your mind. Also, the Cabrios in '03 - '05 were all the older body style still and did not update until MY '06, so if it were me I would either wait for the new style or forgo the ragtop.

YMMV

Reply to
Fred W

forgo the ragtop ? "he who drives a hardtop lives in a world with a fabric sky" (slight adaption from what Budda said about wearing shoes)

Reply to
Bob