F R?

I just noticed that on the gas gauge on my recently purchased 2001 9-3 it has F at the top (for "full" I presume) and at the bottom is R. My question; what the heck does R stand for? Maybe refill? Thanks in advance for this lesson in Saabology.

Reply to
Ed Sullivan

It could be Reserve: Either switch to reserve or find the reserve tank in the boot :) I remember an old VW Beatle; these cars didn't have an indicator. But it had the luxury of a handle to a small reserve tank, just enough to get you to the pump. Before that, people used to break off a twig and stick it into the tank for measuring.

Reply to
Johannes

Reserve.

Reply to
gw

Reserve. I don't bother about refilling my 9000 until the low fuel indicator comes on. I'm not sure how many miles it's meant to be good for after that but I'm sure I've done about 15 miles without a problem.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

My old Rover 2000TC ( the P6 shape ) had one of those genuine pull for reserve tank handles. It came in handy a couple of times.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

But it's the same tank right? I always thought it was refill...

~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson

It is a possibly a relic carried over from old times when there was a reserve tank. Similarly, the word "chauffeur" is someone who maintains the boiler fire.

Reply to
Johannes

Many (most?) cars have the fuel pump down in a sort of well in the main tank, creating a small reserve pocket so long as the guage sender bottoms out at the level of the bottom of the main part of the tank.

Reply to
James Sweet

Ah. Only time I've had a reserve on anything was on a motorcycle. Had to manual switch a lever to use the reserve.

~GJ~

Reply to
Gemini Jackson