Fuel pump connection on pre-'87 C900 ('86 to be exact)

After 21 years of service, the fuel pump died in my '86 900T.

Bosch has stopped making the model fuel pump for the '84-'86 C900. My local Saab dealer and most of the aftermarket parts shops cannot get the proper unit that has a pair of .3125"/8 mm spade connectors that the pre-87 C900s use. The only one you can get is the '87-'90 one with the round socket connectors.

Anyone ever swap one out?

I was told by Swedish Dynamics that they usually solder a pig tale on and splice it in to the harness. I am loath to do this as I do not want a possible spark point so near the fuel tank. I checked with several junkyards to no avail, as the wire harness adapter usually gets pulled out when they remove the gas tank when they process the vehicles.

Any suggestions?

JB

Reply to
Jeremy

Hello Richard, The original pump uses non-standard connectors, 5/16 (.312) inch/8 mm spades, that are exceptionally unusual in the US. The next availible size is a 3/8 (.375) inch/9.5 mm spade and is too big. The connectors on the new pump are "bullet" connectors, but in an unusual size of 5/32 (.156) inches/4 mm, the standard US size is .197 inch/5 mm.

My local Saab dealer (At 50 years, the oldest in the US) cannot get the proper connectors as they were discontinued and the local electronics shop, one of the largest in the north eastern US, has never even seen those dimension plugs.

Jeremy

-------------- Original message ---------------------- From: Richard Sutherland-Smith > In message > you wrote: >

Reply to
Jeremy

Jeremy,

Have you tried

or some of the salvageyards advertised in Nines? They may have a used pump.

M> After 21 years of service, the fuel pump died in my '86 900T.

Reply to
Charles

Thanks for the suggestion Charles, but I already had a new high-flow pump from Swedish Dynamics that cost me an arm, but not a leg. I found a junkyard with an 87 900 8v that still had the wiring harness for the fuel pump still intact.

There is a small pig-tale cable between the main harness and the fuel pump/send unit. The plug on the main harness is the same though all the model years up to 1990, it is the pump connector that changed. I just swapped out the pig-tale, but I did need to put a set of spades in to splice in the send unit wiring because Saab changed the way they ran the wiring for the send unit.

I have managed to get the damn thing together almost, but I broke the floor board taking it out. >8-(

Reply to
Jeremy Brown