Maintenance Cost Per Mile

Anyone ever break down your cost to maintain by the mile?

I just did this for my 97 900S with 220,000 miles and I came up with

4.95 US cents per mile.

If you do the math you will see that I spent nearly $11,000 USD on maintenance. This includes parts, labor, oil changes, etc. All repair and maintenance. Seems kind of high to me considering that I paid 24K for the car brand new.

I noticed a trend where the car seems to need about $1000 of service every 30,000 miles (approximately).

John

Reply to
ghost

I think I am in about the same situation. I bought the car at 80K miles.

50K miles later the transmission went out: $2,000 (with clutch, etc.). 20K miles later, the fuel pump went out: $750. Wear items such as tires, battery, struts, brakes, filters aren't even included in this tally.

Walt Kienzle

1991 9000T, 154K miles
Reply to
Walt Kienzle

Call that three pence a mile, which is certainly not excessive.

Hmm. Not really. If the car is now worth say $4,000 you've "paid" (lost) $24,000 on it, twice the service costs.

What are your other costs? Fuel? Depreciation? Finance, if applicable? Road duty / plates / tags? These should put the service costs into perspective.

Reply to
DervMan

And true of all cars - that is, depreciation is a daily cost.

You also have to compare it to other cars along with initial investment, opportunity cost, etc. Otherwise it is meaningless.

Reply to
- Bob -

EPA mileage for the manual "S" is 21 mpg city / 29 highway, so, assuming 25 mpg at current national average price of $2.99/gallon, fuel would be 11.96 cents/mile (with your mileages, you probably did more highway driving and this overestimates your fuel cost).

You paid $24k, and Edmunds says a "clean" 900 with 220k miles has a trade-in value of $1319, so your depreciation is 10.31 cents/mile (ignoring finance costs or whatever).

I'll assume $1,000 insurance per year for 10 years, or about 4.55 cents/mile.

Your maintenance (including tires?) of 4.95 cents/mile brings the total to 31.77 cents per mile (ignoring capital costs, licenses, time value of money, washes, and anything not in your 4.95 cents) for a total cost of $69,883.

The IRS deduction for business use this year is 44.5 cents, so $97,900 to drive an "average vehicle" (whatever that is), or $28,017 more than you paid. Granted, your mileage is pretty high so you'd have a good shot at beating the averages in anything, but less than 5 cents per mile is incredibly good, especially since it includes the high-mileage phase of the car's life...is this the first car you've owned or something?

replies to user k.l.bailey at the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers

Reply to
klbailey_usenet