New with problem

Hi all, Finally got off my arse and decided to track down a saab newsgroup.

My love is an 88 9000 Turbo which is just about to turn 300000Km's. She only has one glitch and that is a mild electrical problem where the electical system(ignition) dies completely (tacho reads 0). I know it's heat related because I can avoid it by not driving hard on hot days.

I'm sure most of you dont own distributor based 900's/9000s but if someone may know where exactly the hall effect sensor is located, this would really help. I think i've tracked the problem to this little thing.

Cheers, Josh

Reply to
Josh

Not sure if this helps but assuming the distributor on the NA engine in my NG900 is the same as your older engine then this website may help you as the hall sensor is inside the distributor body. Before pulling the distributor apart, you may want to check the wiring external to the sensor just in case you have a break there.

Cheers,

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Sinclair

The problem is either the ignition amplifier or the Hall effect sender in the distributor since both of these parts can produce those symptoms.

I would try swapping the the ignition amplifier first because it is easy to change. The ignition amplifieralso provides the tachometer drive signal.

Reply to
E. Newnes