No boost - what to check ?

My '97 NG900 turbo stopped boosting tonight. I took a quite look in the dark and I didn't see any hoses disconnected. It has a Dawes type MBC so I suspect it's not the boost valve but I'll reconnect the original in the morning just to test and review the hoses again.

When I open the throttle, I hear lots of turbo whine and what sounds like all my boost blowing off somewhere. What should I check ? I have to confess that I know little about the turbo plumbing so the more specific the answer, the better.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
-Bob-

Thats a heart stopper brother Bob - I'll assume it hasn't been making weird noise and stuff and say that it may simply be a stuck wastegate or the blow-off has come loose and is venting. Did it throw an engine light and snap into limp mode?

Reply to
Dexter J

No engine lights, just no boost. I can get it to the orange line, not past.

Reply to
-Bob-

Won't an irregular oil change/tune up schedule cause such a problem or am I incorrect?

Reply to
9-3Turbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ultranet.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Find the waste gate, check the road that links to the actuator.

Where the rod links to the wastegate flap on the turbo it may have been disconnected.

Mine did this on my C900 after I had it apart to adjust the wastegate. If it has come offpop it back on take it for a run and see what happens.

if that fixes it, go to any motorfactors/proper autoparts store, and get an assorted pack of E clips and R pins, the counter person should know what they are.

When it happened to mine the symptom is exactley as you describe, and it is because the actuator isn't holding the wastegate shut, so as soon as the pressure inside the turbo is higher than outside the turbo, it blows it open and all your boost goes away.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Thanks boys. I found it. The hose from the intercooler to the turbo had blown off the bottom of the turbo. It looked fine from above but it was sitting 4mm off the fitting and resting on the A/C pipes. A screwdriver and 5 minutes work and it is fixed.

Reply to
-Bob-

See what I mean about good 'car-ma'(tm) brother bob?

Congrats..

Reply to
Dexter J

In article , snipped-for-privacy@ultranet.com spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Glad it was an easy fix.

In the past, I've had a boost hose blow off mid over take. And the waste gate rod come off.

The boost hose was because I had some of the pipe work bleeding the clutch and thought I had tightened the clamp enough. Evidently not.

The wastegate rod was because I wasn't making enough boost (peak or base) so I took it off to adjust and refitted it. I didn't have a clip to replace the old one that crumbled, so I used a cable tie. It fell off. Again, mid overtake. At least I didn't limp this time though, just ran very poor NA with the wastegate flapping.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

My mistake too. I had this hose off a couple years ago to remove the NG900 "turbo silencer". It lasted a while so I guess I didn't do too bad, but it was not tight enough.

Reply to
-Bob-