Dexter finds an aero!

Salutations:

Well as the regulars will remember - in a vacant moment over the winter I pulled off the curb without checking and had the snout fatally clipped off our beloved '89 9000CD Turbo. It was a black day here at the scriptorium and I have lamented it's passing since. Some have argued - morbidly droning on and on about it.. :/ ..

Recently, a very upright brother SAAB flagellant posted out that he had an

93 5 speed aero on the block and I flew into Boston and it was love at first sight. After a solid test drive - I bought it and drove it home to Nova Scotia that day without incident and a with a grin so large that the customs people pretty much flagged me through just because.

The machine is not without it's upcoming and ongoing requirements, however the owner has been very good about fixing things as they needed attention or repair and it is virtually rust free stem to stern - top to bottom.

It has a TCS cutout and a new TCS controller, DI, head, cam and exhaust. It wasn't registered until 1999 according to CarFax - I would like to think this means that it was a dealer sales car - but it may be that it CarFax only got wind of it in 1999. Any comments/experiences on this?

Everything seems to be basically working top notch, save that the cruise control doesn't engage, it doesn't always hold a steady idle (not bad - just an occasional blip) and it makes a pop every so often when accelerating in turns. Only pop, down near the control arms. It also feels a little loose - but that may just be getting use to it after the current NG900 S.

I have eliminated the ball joints, a-arm bushing, springs, shocks and the CV's seem fine - but was wondering if anyone knows anything about the aluminum a-arm plates at the frame? They seem to be pretty banged up and cracked.

Also - I'm afraid that while I have wanted this particular year and model since new - I have only really owned a series one non-DI 9000 and there is a lot of stuff under the hood that is new to me. Could anyone recommend a really good manual or a place where I could find an official factory service manual for this machine?

It is my intention to keep this 9000 aero pretty much until one of us dies and thusly, any experiences or leads regarding detailed service info would be appreciated.

Also - anyone interested in a recently and deeply serviced 94 NG900 S model for about $5,000 Canadian (about $3,500 USD)?

Reply to
Dexter J

These are great cars, but needing reasonable maintenance. Post here and on Saabnet with questions. The above sources are great and have a lot of information.

Good luck.

KeithG

Dexter J wrote:

Reply to
KeithG

Well I have a 1993 manual 9000 Aero too so join the club. :)

If you mean the aluminum front wishbone mounting bushes then they do seem to corrode and fall apart. I've changed mine on my 9000 CD and therefore expect to have to change those on the Aero too but in all fairness, it didn't make a tinyest bit of difference to the feel.

Have you checked the usual engine mounts? What about the front lower wishbone rear bushes? They're easy to change and possibly worn.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Might also want to check

and
if you don't already hang out there.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Can't help with the details, but good luck with it Dex - sounds like a nice one.

As for the pop - strut top bearings?

Reply to
Grunff

Right on the button.

Aren't those seats nice.

do all the heating and electric movement stuff work as expected?

Good find the Dex.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo