Performance upgrade

I have been considering Saab's recommended Hirsch upgrade for my 93 Aero

210BHP convertible. Stage one (£700+) is simply modifying the ECU software with a PPC unit which only gives an extra 20BHP, stage two (£2600+) involves a new exhaust and intercooler but gives an extra 42 BHP.

Swedish company BSR seem to offer a similar ECU software upgrade via their own PPC unit which they claim gives an extra 37BHP for only £500.

Does anyone have any experience of either a Hirsch or BSR ECU upgrade?

Thanks

Reply to
Len

I have just had the stage 1 Hirsch upgrade to my 05 9.5 2.0 lpt taking it from 150 bhp to 220 bhp. It only involved an ECU reprogram (about 40 minutes). The performance improvement is significant. The reason that I went for Hirsch is that is fitted by Saab dealers and all Saab warranty's remain intact. My insurance company seemed more pleased that it was approved and fitted by a Saab dealer.

At the moment there is a special on till the end of November on 03 to 05 cars for £675 at Squires Furneaux in Dunstable or Welwyn Garden City.

Reply to
Gabriel Shaw

Len waffled ...

Gabriel then quipped.....

OMG ..... that is nearly a 50% hike in power!!!

Those figures correct??

Reply to
Seany

That's what it said on the packet and cars performance leaves me with no doubt about the correctness of this claim. Look on Hirsch website

for full data on 9.3 and also on another page for the 9.5

Reply to
Gabriel Shaw

Now that is definitely worth the money. How is it Len says he may only get a

20 bhp hike for the same upgrade (granted it is a different engine, but why so different?)

Reply to
Seany

The LPT engine isn't so highly tuned to start with, so it can be taken further with a simple boost upgrade than the OP's HOT engine.

You could think of the HOT engine as an LPT with the boost upgrade already in place (along with a few other uprated hardware bits).

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

Hirsch won't grenade your engine with prolonged use ;-)

Reply to
murphwiz