Rain-sensing wipers

When I got my '02 9-5 Aero, I was astonished that the gimmicky rain-sensing wipers actually *WORKED*. And very well, at that.

But after a few run-ins with rocks, I needed a new windshield. The glass guys replaced it with a good but not-OEM windshield. They asked me if it had rain sensors and they used the appropriate kind of windshield.

But ever since then, my sensors don't work very well. If I put it into auto-sense mode, one of several things happens:

  • It sweeps twice, then pauses, sweeps twice, pauses, every 7.5 seconds. This is the most common behavior.

  • It might work exactly the way it's supposed to for a few minutes, then it quits entirely.

  • It might sorta work, but it goes MUCH too long before wiping.

When it's not responding, I can usually move the auto-sensor adjustment thingie (technical term there :-) to max, and that will jolt it awake. It might work for one sweep or it might work for a couple of minutes.

The fact that it CAN work properly makes me think it's probably not the new windshield's fault, but I don't know what else would cause this intermittent behavior. Any ideas?

Gary

Reply to
Gary Fritz