Saab 9000 rear wiper

Hi all,

The rear wiper on my Saab 9000 CS Aero '94 is struggling to work. The motor runs fine without the wiper on but when attached it really struggles to pull the blade across the glass. Ant ideas why it is struggling so much?

Also, will it fail the UK MOT if it doesn't pull across properly? If I take it off and fill the whole with a rubber grommit for the test will it be ignored by the tester?

Thanks,

Simon

Reply to
Simon

Could be one of 3 things -

[a] The voltage at the motor is insufficient - test by measuring the voltage across the motor while it's running [b] The gearbox is crudded up - unlikely but possible [c] The motor has damaged brushes or partially burnt windings.

No, they shouldn't even test it.

Yes.

Reply to
Grunff

rear wash/wipe isn't tested for UK MOT, neither is the reverse light, but rear fog light is.

Just a few tips for if anythingelse common fails.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Thanks, those are really helpful comments. One other query I have is that I have an intermittent abs warning light. This would fail the mot if it comes on during the test right? I had a look back at previous mot sheets from the previous owner. On the sheets the abs section just has a dash (-) next to it, not a tick or a cross. Why did the tester not pass or fail the abs warning system? The car definately has abs so why put a dash on the sheet?

Simon

Reply to
Simon

In article , snipped-for-privacy@nothing.net spouted forth into alt.autos.saab...

Yes it would be a fail, but is most likely either a worn wire or dirty connector on the ABS sensor for one wheel. Might be worth checking the wirong on each brake.

How long have you had the car? Might have been a sympathetic tester? Saw the light, but didn't imediatley fail it, actually put the car on the rollers, and tested it and saw it was functioning, or didn't test it because he knew it wasn't working, but the brakes past all other tests.

When my 900 was tested in March, he showed me a point on one of the front brake flexies where it appeared to pigtail a bit. Said he could fail it, but it wasn't binding and he couldn't get it to pince or snag, so wouldn't fail it. Same with the very drty lower engine and trans/steering rack etc, said he could probably fail it as he couldn't see if it was leaky oil or leaky steering and couldn't inspect it properly, but it didn't smell like steering fluid, and he couldn't make any leak my moving the steering, so he just advised a steam clean.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo