the wraparound windshield to return!

Article on Saab product focus for the future:

"We will see and feel the aero heritage in next-generation Saabs," Forster said. He promised a return to the wraparound windshield: "It is like the canopy of an aircraft. How can you possibly give that up?"

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Maybe for a coupe model. The rest sound like the end of Saab:

"In a sense, building the next 9-3 in Germany is just a continuation of GM's policy of globally interchangeable plants"

and

"Saab CEO Peter Augustsson was a staunch defender of the "Swedish-ness" of Saab, so it was hardly surprising when GM announced he would leave the company"

and

"Front-drive is no longer a core value for Saab"

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Agreed, but let's face it, Saab has a history of relying on others for parts and to some extent plants. That's nothing really new.

I think it'd be akin to shooting themselves in the foot if GM threw away Saab's "Swedish" DNA...that's, to a large extent, its greatest appeal.

This can certainly be debated. I admit, I go back and forth on this. Clinging to a technological achievement of decades ago is no way to run a car company today. Plus, it takes a lot more than just FWD to make a car stick to wet/icy/snowy pavement (perhaps the primary impetus for FWD)...namely good gripping tires/rims (as my recent posts concur...my FWD

9-3 Aero with its factory supplied tires/rims are awful in snow). Further, FWD has its weaknesses....it lends itself to torque steer w/today's high output engines, and it will never be a performer vs RWD and AWD vehicles in its class.

I'd say a true core value of Saab, while linked to FWD, has more to do with sure-footed, performance driving than with FWD itself as a single piece of technology. That said, the obvious next choice is an AWD model. This would keep Saab squarely in line wth that core value. Unfortunately, the only current AWD Saab model isn't even a Saab. Further, Saab would now look like a mere imitator/wannabe (of AWD Audis and Volvos) rather than an innovator.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating dropping FWD. FWD has proven to be a worthy piece of automotive technology, but not one that is exclusive to Saabs anymore.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

And it not surprising that as soon as he leaves, GM announces formerly that they want to make Saab's in Bavaria and other places where the cars will end up looking like US-ified BMW's or Opel's if nothing else.

That's because it has never been a core value for GM, which follows on from GM's tech people not having any idea how to design FWD vehicles.

But it's one of the things which has made Saab's (especially the C900's) stand out as a marque.

Regards,

Craig.

Reply to
Craig's C900 Site

FWD has more torque steer if the drive shafts are different lengths. To be fair, compare apples to apples. I drive a rear wheel drive Volvo and Classic Saabs. Guess which one I prefer in the snow? The old 245 does not have torque steer because it does not have enough torque to induce torque steer, but they just keep on running for decades :-) The Saabs with the same horsepower do not have torque steer either. With the price of gas today, I wonder how much longer we will have these high output engines. I find the engine in my C900 turbo with the red box is more than adequate to get me in trouble on public roads - I don't need a 9-3 Aero.

Reply to
ma_twain

I think you mean "formally".

Not true. Russelheim is in Hesse not Bavaria. At this point, it is pure speculation what future Saabs will look like. Will they look like today's Saabs? Maybe. More than likely, in whatever form they arrive, they will undoubtedly carry on the Saab "DNA". Many people say I look similar to my father, but few people would mistake me for actually _being_ my father. That surely doesn't make me bad, just different.

GM Europe (Carl Peter Forster) has essentially taken over as head of Saab. In short, Saab/Sweden will design the vehicles but their ultimate production fate will go through GM Europe's upper management (Forster) first. Clearly, if you've read the press lately, you'll know GM is under the gun to produce vehicles that are first and foremost, profitable. GM is tired blowing wads of cash at their European operations. Unfortunately, what they perceive as higher volume/profit-making cars isn't necessarily what you or I want as a vehicle.

I actually like the current 9-3 and 9-5s...however, in my view, they suffer from a few poor design decisions, and some low quality components and workmanship. This is unacceptable coming from such an expensive car.

Correct, but now every manufacturer has FWD cars. So Saab is no longer alone on the FWD podium. It's not really much of a competitive advantage any more. Yes, you could probably well argue that Saab pioneered FWD technology so they inherently must be the best at its execution. Maybe, maybe not. Consumers no longer recognize the difference between various manufacturers FWD implementations. If they sit a FWD Audi side by side with a FWD Saab, most consumers would say, on that level, they must be equivalent.

- tex

Reply to
Tex

Though a Saab 900 was the first car that made me even consider FWD as an option, prior to that I was very much set on RWD, really liking how my Volvos handle. I still like RWD but Saab did FWD right and that car is a blast to drive.

Reply to
James Sweet

[...]

Yes, this is what I think, I'm more that happy with my 150bhp lpt. But this business is more about image. A saab with less bhp than a Skoda or an Astra? No we can't have that. Saab is bound to climb the performance ladder, and this will require AWD and bigger engines with more cyl. I'm very worried that the 9-5 will turn into a RWD Opel Omega, the same platform host the

180mph monster brute Vauxhall Monaro VXR 398bhp 6LV8, a but hardly with the technical finesse of Saab.
Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Tex,

I love the newer Saabs as much as I do the older ones; I came to love the marque through a purchase of a 1997 900SE. However, my hope are not very high. The following link from Business Week does an honest analysis of GM's business strategy, with a conclusion that some of GM "brands" must closed, with Pontiac and Saab topping the list.

I think in light of this analysis, any hope of a promised wraparound windshield is beginning to wane. When the money is not flowing, a beautifully thought out project can be stopped in the middle, and the people involved fired.

I would love to see a future Saab with a wraparound windshield, and some innovative engine technology, which would allow it to reinvent itself like it did in the 70's. My bet though is that the best chance for Saab is to be sold to a successful auto company that truly is interested in it being a Saab. I hope this buyer company won't be one of the upcoming Chinese automakers though :-)

-Dima

Reply to
Dima