install or reprogram saab keyless entry system

i bought a used '99 saab 9-3, and it didnt come with either of the remotes that the car originally came with. saab says that in order to take advantage of the cars keyless entry system, -it needs one of the original remotes to match up the programing, and that if the remotes cant be found then the car needs a whole new system for about $2,000. does anyone know if there are any other ways to hook up the keyless entry system with out paying that much??

Reply to
yoskraz

NOT TRUE. I have a 99 9-3S that uses a 2001 9-3 key w/ the remote built in. You can find the dongle style or the built-in buttons on key (like i have) on ebaymotors for quite cheap, you simply need a saab repair shop or dealership program the key for your car. The information they use is simply your VIN.

Reply to
Mitch Knight

so, your saying they were able to program a key remote JUST from the vin# alone? i was told from so many people otherwise. and the dealerships i went to never suggested it. can you tell me where you had this done?

Reply to
yoskraz