Turbo 900 APC system - Can it be grafted to othr motors?

And if so, what basic modules need to stay together?

tia, TBerk

in article uZFec.21925$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com, T at snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote on 13/04/2004 00:52:

Our Volvo siblings seem to like APC.

Essentially, it's just a knock sensing system of which there are plenty of aftermarket systems available. It's yet another example of Saab forward thinking to fit one as standard so early on - infact if you google for "turbo knock sensor systems" other applications of Saab APC can be found.

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Well,

the reason I ask is I'm really, really into VWs, the watercooled kid.

I find the same Bosch components and fuel systems under a lot of European cars; Audi (duh), Volvo, Saab, etc, etc. Soooo- I'm thinking of cannibalize the turbo and control/fuel systems to a low compression 1.8 or 2.0 liter motor.

Turbo Scirocco anyone? (actually I would stick it in the Cuba Brown Metallic Rabbit because it would be a great sleeper).

TBerk

APC can be used on other engines, but the success varies depending on how noisy the engine is. If the engine produces too much mechanical noise in the frequency band used by the APC microphone then the APC system will think it is hearing knocks and reduce the turbo pressure. I don't have a list of affected engines, but the boxer engines in VW beetles is said to be too noisy for APC.

For the traditional APC systems you should only need the APC box, the microphone, the pressure transducer and the APC valve.

Reply to
Goran Larsson