Turbos?

Yup, that's the only thing I can think of that differs much. But, to be fair, it is 6 bolts, two hoses, and 2 wire bundles, so it's not a big job.

Yup. Drives almost as well as a bullnose 96.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Brother Grunff - what the heck happened? You didn't get into a curve a little too hot in the new Bimmer did you?

Reply to
Dexter J

in article 42a5a78d$0$22591$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, Grunff at snipped-for-privacy@ixxa.com wrote on 07/06/2005 14:58:

Ouch! Well take it easy and rest-up. Lovely weather at the moment just to be sitting around outside with a wireless 'puter and a cold drink ...

Paul

1989 900 Turbo S
Paul Halliday

Ouch. Hopefully it's just bone injury, and the tendons and ligaments are OK - lots of complicated machinery right in that area. Too bad it's during summer, as well. Hang in there, friend.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Hi Dex. Of all the ways I could have damaged myself, this is by far the most embarrassing. I slipped on some gravel in the yard, broke my fibula and my calcaneus (left). Lots of titanium holding it all together for a while. Should be out of cast/hardware in 10 weeks or so.

Reply to
Grunff

Thanks Paul. Puts a bit of a downer on the summer though :-(

Reply to
Grunff

They had to open it up to operate (remove bone fragments + install hardware), and I'm told it's looking OK.

Thanks Dave.

Reply to
Grunff

I suppose the DIY is on the back burner for a while then.

Hows the house going before the injury?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Fortunately, we finished everything last December. And I mean totally finished. Not even a light bulb to change. It's been nice living in a finished house.

Reply to
Grunff

Salutations:

ahh - it's the bricklayer's lament then?

To the Federation of Civil Engineering Contractors, Golders Green.

'Respected Sirs:

'In regards to your Trade dues per 1340 Mersey Way Cottage assignment, when I got to the roof of the building, I found that the recent hurricane had indeed knocked several bricks off the top as the owner had indicated.

'So, in keeping with your direction that day, I rigged a beam with a pulley to the top of the building, and separately hoisted up two barrels of bricks. The damage was not nearly as extensive as it had first appeared

- so when I had completed repairs, there were considerable bricks left over.

'Being very busy in the wake of the hurricane, I attempted to save time and hoisted a single barrel back up again, secured the line at the bottom, returned to the roof and filled the barrel with remaining bricks. Then I went to the bottom and cast off the line.

'Unfortunately ... due in no small part to the national rationing policy in my opinion ... the single barrel of bricks was now considerably heavier than I was and before I knew what was happening, the barrel started down, violently jerking me off the ground.

'For reasons that I cannot fully explain at this time, I decided to hang on.

'Therefore, about halfway up I met the barrel coming down and received several severe blows to my head and shoulders. I then continued my flight to the top, again banging my head against the beam and finally jamming my fingers in the pulley.

'I was therefore unaware of the considerable events in motion below.

'It became almost immediately apparent that the barrel had hit the ground and burst its bottom. This, I suppose, then allowed all the bricks to spill out and it was at that point that a frank, hopefully cautionary, lesson in physical dynamics was experienced.

'Being that I was now heavier than the barrel I had met so abruptly on the way up - I started to return to earth at increasingly alarming speeds, but still with the rope knotted around my hand as indicated in your most recent newsletter.

'Some might say thankfully, halfway down, I met the remaining barrel shell moving rapidly in the opposing direction and while I received several more severe injuries certain unmentionable lower regions - the chance meeting did slow my travel to an apparently non-fatal rate. No doubt the reasoning behind the informative article in the above mentioned newsletter. And so, it was thus that I hit the ground, landing on the bricks that had split receiving several more painful cuts in the process.

'It was at this point I must have lost my presence of mind - because I finally let go the line.

'The now bloody barrel immediately returned to earth providing for the final heavy blow that has put me in hospital and now finds me replying to your kind letter for my trade dues as regards 1340 Mersey Way Cottage.

'Considering events, as well as my strict adherence to published best practice as illustrated in our federation newsletter - I would respectfully request an extension until at least I am release from the hospital, hopefully sometime in the Fall.'

Yours, Pelham.

Yours, Pelham.

Reply to
Dexter J

Whoa - the 99 was produced by Valmet (Finnish tractor manufacturer) in

1983 and 1984. Best 99 ever. I owned a 1983 model 99, from 1987 until the end of 2000.

For 1985 and 1986 the back end was replaced by that of the 900 2d saloon and the resulting kludge was called a Saab 90. Still a very reliable car despite butt-ugly looks. /Robert

Reply to
colnalu

That put a smile on my face.

I'm sure I've seen it before, but it must have been a long time ago.

Reply to
Grunff

That was so the three car range could be 90 (base), 900 (old reliable with large fan base), 9000 (for those who must have the latest).

All ending 0 as part of the model name, rather than having 99, 900,

9000, I guess they thought it was a tidier model name range.
Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Original by Gerard Hoffnung, born 1925 died 1959. Heard many times on BBC in the forties and fifties. Brilliant humorist amongst other things.

Reply to
John Hudson

Discovery channel's "Mythbusters" tried it out too. With some rigging it worked.

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '91 900i 16

MH

Well, sure, but Mythbusters will keep trying until they get _something_ to explode, one way or the other.

Poor Buster...he gets so abused. Did you see the elevator one yet? He's actually in pieces now.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well... they never made him drive a BMW.

yes, nice one.

Will that save him from the BMW?

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '91 900i 16

MH

This seems a common theme for you MH. It makes one think that you are insecure and jealous of BMW drivers for some reason. Why else would you constantly harp on it?

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Just trolling... Do I have to add smileys to everything I write?

-- MH '72 97 '77 96 '78 95 '79 96 '91 900i 16

MH

I sure hope not. I read it as a gentle "ribbing" from here (shrug?)

Reply to
Dave Hinz