1995 saturn

I need some help. I bought a used 95 saturn with ablown engine ( original engine had a blown piston- odometer read(s) 83,000 miles). bought a used engine and swapped the old out and fthe new in. new engine won't start. gets spark ( simple ground test used); gets fuel to injector rail ( pulled line loose ); pistons have compression ( did compression test ). now I admit I am not a " mechanic" but this is the third car that I changed engines on ( previous- 85 cougar, 98 taurus ) got them to work -thought that this would be nice project for my teanage son and me. any thoughts where I might look to find the problem?? what happens is the engine turns but won't start.

Reply to
emancae

Just to be sure try a "little" Starting Fluid. If it hits on that then you know you have a fuel delivery problem.

Reply to
BläBlä

By which I presume you mean you pulled a plug and grounded it, then observed a spark at the contact gap?

Just because fuel gets to the injector rail does not mean it's getting into the cylinders...

Reply to
Doug Miller

thanks BlaBla. just as you said it appears in teh fuel delivery system. I will try working that ...fuel pump " whirls" but it does seem to be a little low in pressure at the injector rail.....

Reply to
emancae

any suggestions Doug on how I might proceed?

Reply to
emancae via CarKB.com

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Pull an injector, and make sure it's clean -- fuel won't get through a clogged injector.

Check your fuel pump pressure and compare to specs. If you don't already have a Chilton or Haynes manual for the car, it's time to get one. Try eBay -- that's where I got mine, quite a bit less than half price.

And, as one other poster suggested, give it a little shot of ether (starting fluid) and see if it lights that off. If it does, your problem is definitely in the fuel system. If it doesn't, the problem is probably in the ignition system.

Reply to
Doug Miller

The best thing to check flow is to do a pressure drop test. One would need a fuel pressure gage (30 bucks) a tool used to pulse the injectors (80 bucks). Like so Cyl 1: run pump-take reading-fire injector-take reading Cyl 2: run pump-take reading-fire injector-take reading Cyl 3: run pump-take reading-fire injector-take reading Cyl 4: run pump-take reading-fire injector-take reading

He did, its a fuel problem... Its either pressure or no command from the ecm to pulse the injectors.

Reply to
BläBlä

A better question is what he did with the engine that he's not using ;)

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

finally got it running well- it was the fuel pump AND coolant sending unit ( controling fuel mix)..thanks fo rall the help!!

Reply to
emancae via CarKB.com