2003 Saturn Vue

My wife's 03 Vue recently quit running. We took it to the dealership, they said it had a bad cat converter. They wanted 1200$ for a new one. I took it home and cleaned out the converter. It runs fine now, but I get a check engine light. The code is 0421 (Warm Up Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold(Bank 1)). Is there a way that I can fix this without a 1200$ converter?

Reply to
et3nrat

An 03??? Is it no longer under emissions warranty???

Uh...how did you...clean it?

Downstream O2 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be...

What made it go bad in the first place?

What is your current mileage?

Reply to
BläBlä

An 03??? Is it no longer under emissions warranty???

Uh...how did you...clean it?

Downstream O2 is detecting that the converter is not working as efficiently as it should be...

What made it go bad >>> My wife's 03 Vue recently quit running. We took it to the dealership,

The dealership didn't say anything about it.

Well really it was more like empty than clean.

I didn't see a downstream O2 sensor while I was "cleaning"

No clue, it was running fine then it started just barely running all of a sudden

about 83k

Reply to
et3nrat

Whoa need a shorter link

BläBlä

Smart ass... From what I've seen...you have to double check people.

Uhhhhh never heard of this method and it scares me. Thanks for the info here, I will go back under it tomorrow and look

This would be very illegal for street use. Quote from site "off road and racing use only". If you think the a converter is expensive wait till you see the fine for running that thing.

Theres your rich running condition right there! Thats what killed the cat.

A 3.0L has a timing belt. Start saving your pennies and replace your timing belt before you reach 100k miles. Put that off and you'll get hit again.

Reply to
BläBlä