'93 SC2 flunks NY state emissions on HCs...

Ok, I'm ast the end of my rope here. I'm flunking the NY state emissions on HC's. Cutpoint's .80, I'm at 1.0. NOx and CO are virtually nil, like 1/4 or less the limit:
* Put in a new cat. No real change. * Put in new plugs, wires, coils. No help. * Changed the fuel filter. Old one was plugged badly. This got me from 1.45 to 1.0. * Changed the thermostat. Not checked it yet but the thing stays in more or less the same temp range anyway. * O2 sensor. Was ok.
I'm thinking either ignition related, vacuum leak (but where?), or fuel pump/pressure regulator, maybe? I mean, what else is there? Slip the tester $75 and be done with it?
CTS has this ever been changed they are cheap, maybe 20 bucks , can be checked with ohm meter should read high resistance when cold about 4k ohms at 60 degree f. about 100 ohms when hot say about 240 degree f. When my CTS went bad it ran ok when cold but when hot engine was geting to much gas, might be your problem!
In article

CTS #3 or 4 in there now :/
Glad we dont have emission testing here phil, one other possiblity is maybe injector leaking or pluging up, i dont believe the cleaner you put in the tank will help!! i have had sticky injectors and i took them all out and cleaned them while activating them with 1.5v flashlight batery. i have 170 thousand on my 93 whats yours got on it?
I thought that only vehicles newer than about 1997 were being subjected to this dumb test that is part of a new and rotten way for the gouging NY state officials to lighten the state's populace? Sorry, I must be one of those pessimists that I've been seeing mentioned in the news. The state web sites I think reflect what I'm saying regarding the emissions test, at least they did awhile back. If my old car fails this, it'll sit.
Philip Nasadowski wrote:

Upstate only. I'm downstate, where we've had this BS for decades now.
The car's got 250,000+ miles and is ready for the dumpster, just I can't get it in there YET. The $75 emissions 'test' looks better and better, and geez, everyone else does it these days anyway. NY state really doesn't care how much your car pollutes anyway, they just care they fail the 15% required by the EPA and that's it. Plenty of other states got rid of this crap, but what do you expect from a DEP/DOT/DMV that just wasted 1/2 a billion dollars putting in HOV lanes on the LIE, and wants to spend *ten billion* to put a bus lane in on the Southern State, which parrallels the LIRR's 2nd busiest line??
Have you looked at the PCV? How much oil is it burning? What weight oil are you using now?
Bob

Replaced that too.

Not much. I don't even bother checking it between changes much since it's well below 1 qt every 1,000 miles.

Stuff that's spec'd on the oil cap.
In Ohio if you spend X amount of money in trying to correct the emissions failure you can get a waiver. Not sure if NY has a simular law but its worth looking into.
---------------------------------------------------- http://www.epa.state.oh.us/dapc/echeck/testing_info/waiextem.html
What is a waiver?
When a vehicle has failed at least one emissions test and the owner has made efforts to have that vehicle repaired, a waiver may be issued at an E-Check test facility. The motorist must bring all original emissions- related repair receipts, as well as the vehicle, to the station in order for a waiver to be issued. Repairs may be performed at any repair facility or by the vehicle owner. In the case of self-repairs, only receipts for parts will count toward a waiver. An owner may not submit receipts for her/his own labor. Tampering-related repairs do not count towards either waiver option. Note: waivers are not transferable to the new owner if the vehicle is sold.
Option 1 - Applies to the Tailpipe Test Only:
CONDITIONAL PASS WAIVERS are issued after the initial tailpipe test. To qualify for this waiver, the vehicle must be a 1995 or older model year and must show:
a) at least a 30 percent improvement from the initial emissions readings for which the vehicle failed without causing initially passed readings to exceed state standards; AND
b) eligible receipts for emissions-related repairs totaling at least $200. Tampering-related repairs do not count towards this option. Receipts will only be accepted for repairs performed within sixty days of the initial inspection.
The above type of waiver applies only to vehicles tested via the tailpipe test. ----------------------------------------------------

Site Timeline