99 SW2 - Exhaust Leak in engine compartment?

Went in for an inspection and found that I have an exhaust leak. Person didn't even bother trying to inspect me as he heard it outside of the car. Any ideas on what this normally runs for repairs or is this one of those problems that could come from a variety of areas?

Thanks.

-Pete Schott

Reply to
Peter A. Schott

Depending where the leak is, it can vary. Figure $300 minimum. No shop wants to do a piece-work repair since the old parts invariably fail next. With any luck, it is just the muffler which may be able to be cut out and a new one attached. Could also be the EGR tube - they sometimes rot out. Might also be the flex connector in the exhaust. They're expensive. I'd be a little ticked off at your inspection shop. The least they could have done was give you an estimate of what it would cost to repair... that is if it is not a state operated inspection station. Private shops have a vested interest in making repairs. State operated inspection stations (as in Connecticut) only want to do the test and get you out of there.

Reply to
Oppie

Well, they didn't bother as they heard something from outside the car - said get this looked at and then come back. (They weren't incredibly busy or slow - so I figured they were trying to save me the hassle of getting it in and discovering that there was, indeed, an exhaust leak - no prob there.)

This wasn't a repair shop - just a regular inspection place. I remember those places in CT. Had to go twice on an old Omni because they had a bad sensor at their shop and it wasn't a close drive to my nearest location. I'm in TX now so it's a little different.

Here's hoping for something cheap. I can deal with replacing needed parts, just don't want to go through what feels like a complete rebuild just to pass an inspection. Guess I'll find more on Monday as it goes in to the shop then.

Thanks.

-Pete