Burnt valve - what to do

I have a 2002 SL1 that has had regular maintenance since I bought it used in 2004. Recently I went about 1500 miles over the 3000 limit between "checkups" and brought it in. No oil changes etc. since the last inspection. It had started "hesitating" a bit during acceleration so they checked that. The Saturn people tell me they got only a quart of oil when they drained it for oil change, no leaks found, timing chain is rattling. They think it has a burnt valve, and that my best option is to replace the engine which will cost about $2900.

I've opted to think about what I'm going to do. They tell me I will probably have to keep oil in the trunk and check it often and make sure to top it up and that eventually it will stop running and I'll have to get it towed in for the repair.

Given that I take the bus to and from work every day and put very few miles on it otherwise (a tank of gas lasts me over a month) I'd like some realistic views on what I should do at this point. The hesitation is still very slight but of course it's there. I can realistically keep putting oil in it, no problem there. But I want good solid advice on what will most likely happen, worst case and best case. Also, what exactly does a "burnt valve" mean? I'm a computer geek, not an engine geek. Pointers to graphics and descriptions on the web so I can know what the problem is would be great. Also I recognize this may very well be my fault due to neglecting to check the oil--but should it be this bad just due to that?

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
arabellafigg

If it were mine I would just continue to drive it. Maybe it will eventually croak but every car out there is eventually going to croak. If it dies the worst thing that is going to happen is that you have to have a tow and a new engine instead of just a new engine.

It would be wise to ask around and find a good independent mechanic and get a second opinion. If it just needs a new timing chain have that replaced and don't worry about it. If it really does have a burned valve then (a good mechanic can tell very easily) then I would drive it until it got to be an issue then decide what to do. Putting a 3k new engine in a car that is probably worth around 4k probably isn't the best thing to do.

Steve B.

Reply to
Steve B.

I would atleast replace timing chain because when that fails it will damage engine big time because it is a interferance motor. Saturns tend to use oil especail if you sue 5w30 in a older one. Right now you are maybe looking as a new chain and maybe a valve job at most and it will run for a long time if you keep oil in it. If you cannot regulalry check your own oil, you realy do not want a Saturn because more often than not the use oil as they age and if you run it 3 to 5K miles between changes without checking it you could run it dry. .

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Er, with 1.9L, or probably any other vehicle, it's best to check oil every time you gas up or before you get going for the day (better - no oil thrown up). You'll destroy your engine if you are too low and it only takes a few seconds to correct this.

A week after I got my saturn i noticed that it was harder than normal starting, and ran very loud. I checked the oil and found it to be just at the bottom of the dipstick. I promptly added oil and changed it later that day (I'm just like that with oil, probably not nessisary.)

Reply to
HyperCube33 (Life2Death)

Depends on what the value of dependable transportation is worth to you.

If it were me, I would have the engine assessed for bearing knocks and compression. If the basic block is good, then by all means consider changing the timing chain and having the head rebuilt. If the engine is bad, and the car is otherwise good, consider a junkyard engine as a swap when the original finally goes.

I have a LW300 that burns a quart every 1500 miles or so. More in the winter when I use 5W30, less in the summer when 10W30 is used. I check the oil at least once a week and keep a couple of quarts wedged into the corners of the engine compartment.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

Wow, I thought I was the only one who kept bottles of oil under the hood. :-)

Call me paranoid, but I check the oil in my Saturn almost every day.

-David

Reply to
David Teichholtz

Checking engine oil regularly is not paranoid, it is merely good practice and proper operation. Checking fluid levels and tire air pressure are by far the most effective ways to minimize automotive expenses.

IMHO, it is quite humorous that anyone can drive 50% past their 'checkup' and still be surprised they are seriously low on oil, or that this kind of mechanical abuse constitutes 'regular maintenance'. In this situation the failure to properly monitor the fluid levels may have caused serious damage. I have never needed to replace a worn dipstick or seen a mechanical breakdown caused by too frequent checking of fluid levels.

IMHO, it would be a waste of time to give mechanical repair advice to anyone whose operation is so negligent, but otherwise would suggest performing a cylinder leakdown check to verify the valve condition and to also check spark plugs and plug wires, which are the most likely cause of 'hesitating a bit during acceleration'. YMMV.

Reply to
Private

Oppie,

Of interest is my daughter's 2000 Saturn LS2 V6. It has over 175,000km on it (about 107,000 miles) and it has never had oil added between changes, which are every 5,000 km (or3,000 miles). The dipstick is usually at the full mark when we change the oil. All of our chevy V6's are similar, they don't use any oil. (That's one reason why we like them!)

Good luck, David

Reply to
David

David - Which engine is in the LS2 V6? The LW300 uses the L-81 engine that was designed by Opel in Germany. I understand that it was also used in the Cadillac Cattera. I occasionally use a 5 minute flush to clean out the block. Oil consumption has been about steady in the 60K miles that I have had the car. I don't believe it to be excessive consumption and just be careful to check it now and then.

Interesting that this NG has posted much information of oil consumption of the vehicles. Given that there are level indicators for most of the fluids, why is there no level indicator for the oil. And don't even get me going on why there is no dipstick or level indicator for the ATF.

Oppie

Reply to
Oppie

are you talking automatic level indicators like Porsche has?

My '95, '96, and '97 manual trans Saturns all have dipsticks for the trans. I'm 95% sure the '95, '99 & '02 automatics in the rest of the family have them as well.

Reply to
Kevin