cb antenna on a Vue

Hello all.

Has anyone in here (successfully) installed a CB antenna on their Vue?

I've already had a bad experience using a "cellphone look-alike" magnet mount antenna on the Vue. It wouldn't achieve SWR below 3.0 no matter what I tried.

My next thought is to use a "side mount" attached to the tailgate door. But this has a drawback of its own... I don't know if the tailgate would offer sufficient grounding. I could settle for decreased performance and use a no ground plane system, but I don't have any way of knowing if that's necessary or not.

Any suggestions on this or other mounting locations? thanks in advance!

Reply to
dakota2112

Thanks for all the replies. (sorry, I just had to include some Monday morning sarcasm! I realize CB installation issues on a Saturn Vue are not much of a hot topic...)

In case anyone's interested, I did find what appears to be a good spot to install an antenna. On the driver's side, directly in front of where the hood bracket is mounted to the chassis, there is a nice flat spot. This area has plenty of strength for a flat bar type antenna bracket, or you could even make one out of an L-shaped piece of metal. I did this and utilized the front-most hood bracket bolt for added strength. The only modifications required are to drill a hole for a thru-bolt at the flat spot, and to saw off a very small piece of plastic to allow clearance for the antenna bracket.

Access to the underside of this area is gained by removing the plastic fender liner.

I fed the coax behind the hood bracket, then along the inner channel under a piece of foam alongside the windshield washer fluid line, then around the spring tower. The coax then goes through firewall via the hood release cable hole, which did require cutting a small opening in the grommet.

Reply to
dakota2112