CB Radio or PRS

Hi All, I have just been offered a radio for my TJ by my DW as our anniversary present. She wants me to buy it in the next week. My question is should I go with a CB Radio or a PRS? I intend to mount it permanently and not get he handheld variety. Some of the trail areas around here have no cell phone coverage, so a two-way radio is very handy. I asked a retailer here and he said PRS would have no problems with an external mounted antennae. According to him, CBs need the roof to act a ground plain for the antennae to attain full gain.

My idea was to mount the antennae either on the front or the rare bumper. I do have a hardtop, which I intend to keep as we are now moving towards winter.

Thanks in advance for all the wonderful ideas and expertise. TW

Reply to
TW

Definitely go with a CB since that is what is most commonly used on the trail between Jeepers, especially on organized trail runs. Most clubs and organized trail rides list a CB on the mandatory equipment list.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Of those two the CB would probably be better. Generally it will have more range that the PRS(FRS here in the US). Also, here at least, I don't think you can use an external antenna with an FRS radio. If you get a CB, get the best antenna you can. A cheap radio and a good antenna is a lot better than a great radio and a cheap antenna.

What Jerry said about the CB for club runs in true. If, however, you are going to be out by yourself and want a radio to call help if needed I would suggest you consider getting a HAM license and go that route. With the HF radios especially you can talk a lot farther than you usually can with a CB. Just a thought.

Remember though. Antenna. GOOD antenna.

Reply to
Charlie

Heh, remember the "Jesus nut" on your RVN-era Huey? ;)

Jerry

-- Jerry Bransford To email, remove 'me' from my email address N6TAY, PP-ASEL See the Geezer Jeep at

Jerry Bransford

I get about the same reliable range from my FRS as my CB. The FRS is UHF/FM and therefore line of sight, where the HF/AM CB should tend to wrap the terrain a little better. I have/use both. I find the FRS to be much more of a pleasant communication device to use.

Also, here at least, I don't think

My FRS rigs have mag mount external antennas which help in getting the signal out. You CAN use an external antenna, it just has to be factory attached and non-removeable so you can't boost your signal by futzing with the antenna gain. Why this band is so restricted, antenna-wise, with such a low wattage is beyond me.

If you get a CB, get the

While true, it's going to be hard to convince your contact in Japan to come and pull out your rig. :)

Reply to
twaldron

Thanks Jerry. Our club does not list CBs as mandatory equipment, but as "good to have". I rarely go alone out that far simply because I don't have a winch to get myself out of trouble. Till that time I will mostly go for club runs or with buddies. I am leaning towards a CB, but the FRS/PRS are so small in size comparatively that it would be easy to fit just about anywhere. Locally, both CBs and PRS are a max 5W power units and can be had with external antenna.

TW

Reply to
TW

HAM license..... Thats a touchy subject for me. I have been reading up on it and it looks very interesting. However, I don't know how practical it would be to install it in the TJ. I might get a unit and put it in the basement for personal enjoyment.

We can get external antenna with FRS/PRSs in NZ. One of the local suppliers is importing units from Australia

and Uniden. I like Uniden's X150 Pro at this stage. I was worried about lack of metal roof and what it would do to the reception for a CB. On a TJ, am I better off installing the antenna in the front (thus all metal hood in close proximity) or in the back?

Thanks TW

Reply to
TW

Thats what the guy said, PRS/FRSs are clearer because they are UHF. Also the units are smaller in physical size. But I am still leaning towards a CB because of AM signal not requiring line of sight for attain maximum result.

In NZ, PRS/FRSs can be had with external antennas which can be mounted anywhere on the rig. There is no restriction as such.

TW

Reply to
TW

I'm running a CB(Radio Shack's cheapest, thank you) with a K-40 "trunk lip" style mount base load antenna. It's in a YJ, and the antenna is mounted to an extra piece of metal strap that has been added to the spare tire travel stop on the right rear of the tub. I use the radio to listen/talk to truckers on my 90 minute commute every day. I find the *useable* range with this setup to be around 4 miles. I can hear further than that, but it won't make the trip back unless the atmosphere is pretty quiet. I've got a pair of handheld FRS radios in the console for use out in the woods went we're looking for Geocache's, and a cell phone too. Wonder what they ever did before the age of electronics!

Oh, yeah, I always carry matches in my emergency kit... I guess I could use smoke signals, too, if I had to.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

Interesting idea. I have seen some drivers of other makes having the antenna mounted on a lip coming off the spare tyre, but from the back (the space between the rare glass and the spare tyre mount). However, they usually have metal roofs. I don't, as such I have no idea about its effectiveness for signal strength.

What about smoke flares or an emergency beacon? Just kidding, matches or a safety lighter is a good idea, because if stranded overnight then you can keep yourself warm by lighting a small fire. I think I'll go out and buy one tomorrow. I've got a lot of things in my tool kit that I now carry, but nothing to start a fire.

TW

Reply to
TW

TW

Are you going to keep asking the same question over and over in a different way until somebody agrees with you and tells you to buy the prs system?

Buy both. CBs can be bought at most garage sales for less than $20 and their range is superior to the other system. But if you want a handi-talky get it.

Reply to
Thor

??

He only asked the question once, and in his follow up said "But I am still leaning towards a CB because of AM signal not requiring line of sight for attain maximum result."

Reply to
Dave Milne

"But I am still

attain maximum

over

tells

less

system.

Reply to
Thor

I did. To which messages are you referring ?

Dave Milne

TW; I have the one shown in the URL

Itworks fine with a Cobra 75WXST CB radio (out-of-sight-out-of-mind forthieves) and a Cobra A300 3ft fiberglass whip. I also have a full lengthstainless steel whip I install when going into a remote area. I'm told therear mounting location uses the top lip of the steel tub for the groundplane for broadcast efficiency. I get a SWR of from 1.0 to 1.2 with the SSwhip and around 1.4 with the 3ft one. Bob

Reply to
Robert Brace

Get the CB and a decent permanent mount antenna for the gift. It iwll make you much more compatible on trail runs. Then, go out and pick up a pair of FRS handheld radios too! No big deal, decent ones go on sale all the time! I picked up a pair of audiovox handhelds with a drop in charger for $49 two years ago and they work great. Car to car over rough terrain on the trails they are reliable out to about 1/2 mile. On the highway, 1 mile is not unusual. In my vehicle I have a

25 watt 220 mhz ham rig permanently mounted which easily gets me into repeaters 40 + miles away, and I carry one of those 4 watt CB handhelds that can be plugged into the 12 volt accessory socket for close in chat with non hams, and a pair of FRS radios for convenience when hiking or whatever. Remember, it is only money, and toys are more important than money!

Rob wb1aex

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Reply to
Ender

TW; Sorry about that, the URL just gets you to the opening page. Go to Catalog, then scroll down to Miscellaneous Accessories. There you will find the CB antenna mounts. Bob

Reply to
Robert Brace

All right, geocaching!!! I just mounted a new handheld Garmin GPS in my TJ on Wednesday and am getting ready to try geocaching. Having fun with it? To keep the thread on topic, my wife and I both got cheap Uniden hand-held CBs and they seem to have a few miles' range without an external antenna on the Jeep tub...they were like $18 each at Wal-Mart a few years back. Perfect for Jeep club rides, then instantly stowable out of sight when you're back in town. Also, they use the lighter socket for power and require zero wiring.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I suggest the CB. In my humble opinion, the FRS is a great temporary solution, but a very poor permanant solution. The FRS is useful if you are driving your Jeep, and you wife is driving the motorhome or camper, and you want to have communications between you on the trip down the highway. FRS is a workable solution if you want to go wheeling with a buddy that is radio challenged, and you don't wheel with him on any sort of regular basis. But, as a primary means of communication while wheeling, the FRS just is not very serviceable. The problem is, 1, it must remain on all of the time, and by the end of the day the batteries are pretty much toast and need to be replaced or recharged, 2. the range is severely limited by terrain that you will encounter on the trail but not on the road (trails are frequently closed-in spaces while the highway is mostly open space for the operable range of the FRS radio)

Reply to
CRWLR

The better your counterpoise(ground plane), the better your antenna will work. Usually. Having the antenna on the very front OR back tends to make it more directional. Best place is dead center of a metal roof. If you have a rag-top or fiberglass think about mounting it in the center of the hood. Looks a little funny but usually work great. You can go with a magnetic mount if you don't want it there all the time.

I don't like a handheld for general use. But, you can take those out of the jeep and climb to the top of a nearby hill if you need to.

Reply to
Charlie