driver side gas cap

My '97 SL2 has the locking gas cap on the driver's side.

I was at the showroom yesterday to see all models with the unlocked gas cap on the passenger side.

I asked the salesman and he told me that the reason is that if you pull of the road on the right, it is safer to add emergency fuel.

But the problem is that if you're on the highway and in the left lane, you can pull off to the left shoulder and thus, if the gas cap is on the passenger side, you expose yourself to oncoming traffic.

I hate the fact that all current and future models are based on that.

I may have to choose another brand when I'm ready to shop for a new car.

Saturn should have put the gas cap on the rear center, so you can fuel from a neutral zone.

Reply to
fish

Ratbert

More significantly, if you pull up to the gas pump island on the right, which is standard traffic in the U.S., then the filler on the left is convenient to fill the tank.

Meanwhile, the people with fillers on the right have to pull to the left side of the pump island, bucking all the vehicles trying to fill up on that side of the pumps, creating a horrendous traffic jam with with left-side and right-side cars going head-to-head on each side of the pumps. Otherwise, some people try dragging the hose across the car to fill on the right, scratching the paint or leaving black marks from the hose.

I don't know who the idiot is who decided to start putting gas fillers on the right of U.S. cars. Maybe they're all trying to emulate Japanese cars, except that all the Japanese cars intended for U.S. delivery that I've noticed have the filler on the left side of car, just like normal U.S.-made cars--since that's where they all seem to be made anyway.

I think I'll just try to keep my SL2 forever and ever.

RK Henry

Reply to
RK Henry

I understood that they stopped putting the fuel filler in the center rear because it was a potential explosion hazard in collisions. The filler cap is usually found on the opposite side of the car from the exhaust tip for the same reason. If I am wrong, please correct me, but I know I heard that somewhere.

Reply to
Ash

RK Henry writes: (snip)

I haven't really seen these tremendous traffic jams, at least here in Ohio - there's normally enough space in the gas station to make the maneuvering fairly easy.

My 2004 Subaru has it on the right. Our 1995 Mazda did, too, IIRC. I don't think I ever had a problem with traffic in gas stations that I could attribute to that. Oh, and a new Infiniti FX35 I drove recently also had it on the right. (How "Japanese" you regard these, I don't know. My Subaru was actually made in Japan, but I don't know about the Mazda and Infiniti.)

Maybe gas station design varies from region to region? (Not that I've really noticed much difference.) Sometimes we drive our own cars to other places, but sometimes we fly and get hire cars, and I can't remember what side the cap's been on cars we've rented.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark T.B. Carroll

there is no standard, Japanese or otherwise. I have 5 vehicles in our family, ranging from 1991 through 2001. Three from Chrysler, 1 from GM, 1 from Mitsubishi. They all vary some on left (driver), some on right (passenger), even the three Chryslers. There simply is no "standard" here based on my personal experience.

I agree with the previous poster who said designers fit this in wherever they can based on appearance, location of the fuel tank, and lowest cost.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

That is true, but what side the tip is on and what side the gas filler neck is on has no rhyme nor reason.

Reply to
Steve Mackie

For the elderly, like my father, the extra walk for the gas cap on the right is a real problem.

Reply to
Art

I have an '03 Ion without power windows.

Around metro Boston, often, the cheapest gas is to be had at the mom-and-pop stations with a single island that are full-serve-only. At these places, the attendant invariably walks up to the *passenger* side window, on the assumption that everybody has power windows. It's not just one gas station either; I've seen this a bunch of places. Cripes, how hard is it to walk around to the driver's side of the car?

Real PITA if you don't have a front-seat passenger in the car to roll the window down.

Reply to
Biker Geek

I'd just roll the drivers side down and start talking. I'm sure they would eventually catch on and come around.

Reply to
Roy

Try not to take too much offence but if he can't walk around the car he shouldn't be driving. You are supposed to take an occasional walk around the car to visually check things like tire pressure and lights. I say this as much for his safety as others.

As for running out of gas in the left lane, If you are getting on a multi-lane divided highway without enough gas to get to where you are going, or at least to get to an exit with gas station, then you should also not be driving. This isn't just dangerous for you when you are putting in your "emergency gas" but any car I've ever driven loses the power steering when the engine is shut off, not to mention the power brakes loose their boost also.

Sorry if I offended anyone but I just got back from a drive where an old guy pulled out of a gas station parking lot in front of me (I was doing the posted limit of 80kph) I had to lock up the brakes and skid to the side so I wouldn't hit him. The best part is the cop sitting in the parking lot watching for speeders didn't even flinch.

Reply to
Roy

I don't take offence but he has a son to watch the oil level and tire pressure, lights, etc. I also fill the car with gas occasionally for him so he doesn't have to take the long trip. He uses a walker but still drives fine.

And I've seen similar moves by young and middle age drivers. Especially those that cannot separate cigarettes or phones from their heads as they drive.

Reply to
Art

I agree there are bad drivers of all ages, this one today just happened to be older. And the cop didn't seem to care.

Reply to
Roy

See

for a previous Usenet discussion on the subjectof fuel filler loactions. Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

C. E. White sez...

That was very good reading. Thank you!