eng pwr reduced

I have a '07 Saturn Aura with 211K miles on it. I was driving on the highw ay earlier today with the cruise set on 70. Without warning the cruise dis engaged, I heard a few "bongs," and my DIC was displaying ENG PWR REDUCED a nd SERVICE TRACTION (not sure if that's exact, but, it mentioned the tracti on). I noticed immediately that I only had about half of my usual accelera tion. I pulled over, turned off the car, and waited a few seconds before r estarting the engine. The same DIC messages appeared when I started the ca r again. I drove it the remaining 25 miles to work. When I got to work I shut it off and let it sit for about 10 minutes. I then started it back up and the messages didn't reappear.

I realize there are a great many things that can cause this condition. Wha t's the best case scenario? What's the worst case scenario?

Reply to
Shawn

The traction control system usually used the ABS sensors to determine the speed of each wheel. If the sensors get dirty enough, it screws with the whole works, causing the control unit to think that one (or more) of the wheels has lost traction. The computer then retards the ignition timing to "reduce engine power" and regain traction.

I would suggest you start by cleaning the ABS sensors at all four wheels.

Reply to
Wordsworth

Agreed. A diagnostic may show which sensor is giving the problem. Many of these are magnetic sensors that sense something like gear teeth on the wheel hubs. The sensors themselves can go bad or the teeth rust away and increase the critical airgap.

"Reduced Power" usually happens when the ABS senses a wheel slip, ABS control attempts to correct the slip by selective braking on wheels that are travelling faster. If that fails to balance drive power, the engine power is reduced. This either by direct throttle control in a drive by wire system or by retarding the ignition in a mechanical throttle engine.

As normal operation returns after sitting for a while, problem is likely heat related.

Reply to
Oppie