Engine Noise

I hear a clicking sound while driving, coming from the front of the car. Under the hood?

It happens at 2500-3000 rpm, sometime lower, and the clicking sounds like a snare drum whose sound fades in and out about every couple seconds.

I added CD2 detergent to crankcase oil, but it doesn't really subside. Could it be outside or inside engine? Injectors? Valves/stems? bearing on a pulley?

TIA.

Reply to
Bob T

How old is the car? Why do you think it's the engine? This sort of complaint is pretty common for bad CV joints. Does wiggling the steering wheel cause any change in the sound?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

Could be lots of things. Does it do it when the car is standing still? If it does, pop the hood and walk around and listen.

-DanD

Reply to
Dan Duncan

Does the noise vary with speed or engine RPM?

Like Tim said, it very well could be a CV joint, see if it changes when you turn the steering wheel......

Reply to
BANDIT2941

I have an intake kit on my 97 and you can easily hear the injectors clicking at partial throttle. If I press the pedal further or just plain floor it the clicking stops. This is per the design and the original intake box with the baffle muffles most of the intake related sounds...

Reply to
Jonnie Santos