fan won't kick on

My 92 Saturn was having an overheating issue, we found that the fan wasn't kicking on at the appropriate time but when we connected the fan to direct power it was working. We checked the wires leading to the fan and all but can't seem to find why it won't kick on. I have it temporarily wired directly into the fuse box so when my car is running the fan stays on all the time. This is an ok temp fix but I'd like to get the the solution. Any suggestions?

Reply to
warzena

Mine quit (fan motor after 10 years), but on the '94 it is powered by a relay in the under-the-hood fuse holder. I rotated the relays first to no avail (the have the same numbers so test rotation is okay). The relay is tripped via the computer which relies on several engine temp sensors. If the relay swap doesn't work, maybe one of the sensors is shot. I doubt if the computer is gone as other issues may also show up.

B~

Reply to
B. Peg

If you have A/C in the car, turn on the A/C, and set the fan control for the vents to a position besides 'off'. The radiator fan should come on, along wiuth the compressor. The car has to be running for this :)

If this is ok, then the problem is the sensors in the head - there are two, one controls the fan, the other controls the temperature gauge. Not expensive to replace both - they're like $10 a piece - and it's easy too - let the car cool totally, use a 13mm (?) deep socket, and put a dab of thread sealer on the threads of the new one.

The fan's controlled by the computer - and the computer turns it on via a relay. If the A/C check didn't turn on the fan, then the fan relay is bad - the fan ALWAYS runs when the A/C is on. If you want to get rid of the temp wiring you put in, and the A/C check works, you can unplug the compressor lead at the compressor, so it won't go on, and you can turn on the A/C to turn on the fan. Of course, it's better to replace the sensors :)

Don't forget to check the obvious - the fan fuse :) And, IIRC, the fan relay's the same as a few others, so you can swap two relays and see if the fan works. Then it's just a relay - easy check.

If you're good with a meter, you can check the wires to the relay and the power for it, too.

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski

Reply to
Alex Marcuzzi

Those motors are wear items, and when they fail, they go intermittently.

If you haven't replaced the fan motor, replace it. It's almost certainly worn out.

Reply to
Kirk Kohnen

I concur. Coolant temp sensor. Mine kicks on a little later than when new (the temp gets all the way up to 3/4 on the gage), but it works fine. $13 for the part. 30 minutes to fix.

Change it on a cool engine. Coolant will leak out of the little hole while the sensor is being replaced...so have the new one ready once the old one comes out.

Good luck.

Reply to
Barry Schnoor

I'd change out the temperature sensor (the two wire one!) first for sure as has been suggested. There is, however, still the possibility that the PCM is at fault in being able to turn the fan on via the A/C but not in response to the temperature sensor.

Reply to
DanKing49